Paphiopedilum villosum forma aureum 'Piping Rock' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earlier this year in spring, I was lucky enough to secure a division of this plant from Glen Decker as I started my goal of collecting alba (or close to) forms of all the Paphs species. Surprisingly it bloomed for me this fall, and garnered an AM of 81 points at the recent October monthly judging in Toronto. What was different about this particular flower was the green dot on the staminode above the lip. It is bright green rather than yellow as in the other awarded aureums of this ilk. This contrast makes the flower more alluring and invites the admirer to appreciate it more. Well, at least to those who have seen it (like me). A pretty strong grower.

View attachment 16731 View attachment 16732 View attachment 16733
Congrats on your AM. Beautiful!!

Exciting news.

This plant is in bud again, this time with 2 more new growths in tow.

The bud is so cute and looks much bigger than previous season when it was awarded. Let's see how it opens in a few days.

Culture: bark perlite mix, warm summers, cool winter nights at 15C, very bright light, water all year.

20210113_171035.jpg20210113_171053.jpg20210113_171042.jpg

Nice. Don't jinx it!
I am very strict on not moving a budding plant as any variation it the niche can cause deleterious effects. So it will stay put as is until it opens.

There's the hirsutissimum alboviride behind it in bud too (possible 2 maybe 3 sheaths, fingers tightly crossed).

There is a lovely photo of a translieneanum alba on one of the paph forums on Facebook.
It too has a lovely green bos.
I wonder what the cross between these two would look like?
David

Back