Paphiopedilum villosum forma aureum 'Piping Rock' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Earlier this year in spring, I was lucky enough to secure a division of this plant from Glen Decker as I started my goal of collecting alba (or close to) forms of all the Paphs species. Surprisingly it bloomed for me this fall, and garnered an AM of 81 points at the recent October monthly judging in Toronto. What was different about this particular flower was the green dot on the staminode above the lip. It is bright green rather than yellow as in the other awarded aureums of this ilk. This contrast makes the flower more alluring and invites the admirer to appreciate it more. Well, at least to those who have seen it (like me). A pretty strong grower.

villosum aureum PR AM3.jpg villosum aureum PR AM4.jpg villosum aureum PR AM2.jpg

Earlier this year in spring, I was lucky enough to secure a division of this plant from Glen Decker as I started my goal of collecting alba (or close to) forms of all the Paphs species. Surprisingly it bloomed for me this fall, and garnered an AM of 81 points at the recent October monthly judging in Toronto. What was different about this particular flower was the green dot on the staminode above the lip. It is bright green rather than yellow as in the other awarded aureums of this ilk. This contrast makes the flower more alluring and invites the admirer to appreciate it more. Well, at least to those who have seen it (like me). A pretty strong grower.

View attachment 16731 View attachment 16732 View attachment 16733
Wonderful! If you come across an album P. purpuratum could you let me know? That’s the only album I desire...after you secure your own specimen, of course.

Thank you all for the comments.

Yes a purpuratum album is on my list. I have looked and only a few people have little seedlings not ready yet, including Sam Tsui, Popow and Tokyo Orchid Nursery. As soon as I know I will try to post.

In addition I want a hangianum album and tigrinum album, both of which are available as very expensive divisions at the moment. I will look at possibly getting them next year. And even rarer (and possibly not in existence) is a mastersianum album/albescent.

And I will take pics tomorrow as requested and post them as soon as I can.

Bruch, I'm pretty sure, you could get one of those from Tokyo Orchid Nursery....provided you are a millionaire, that is! :p

Kind regards, Jens
Ha ha Jens, there was one in Germany earlier this year but I dithered and didn’t purchase. The flower was kind of funky to me, not symmetrical. I think it’s gone now.

I think Glen had a vietnamense album. Key word 'had'.

And yes I am close to Glen Decker to know of his business sale from the last year. Congrats to new owner George and best of luck!

I am posting some more pics of the flower with plant taken today. Also a pic of the green dot on the staminode, confusingly called a 'bos' in taxonomic descriptor's term.

I also included 2 pics from the growing area (one T5 and another with LED bulb additional grow light). The glossiness of flower is more evident when light or flash is on it.

Attachments

• villosum aureum PR AM5.jpg
    villosum aureum PR AM5.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 45
  • villosum aureum PR AM7.jpg
    villosum aureum PR AM7.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 42
  • villosum aureum PR AM13.jpg
    villosum aureum PR AM13.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 40
  • villosum aureum PR AM16.jpg
    villosum aureum PR AM16.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 39
  • villosum aureum PR AM15.jpg
    villosum aureum PR AM15.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 40
  • villosum aureum PR AM10.jpg
    villosum aureum PR AM10.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 39
  • villosum aureum PR A11.jpg
    villosum aureum PR A11.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 41
  • villosum aureum PR AM9.jpg
    villosum aureum PR AM9.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 40
  • villosum aureum PR AM14.jpg
    villosum aureum PR AM14.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 39
Wow, I'm as green with envy as the green dot on the staminode. Very impressive flower and yes it deserves every point of the award. Congrats.

Last edited:
Back