Paphiopedilum vietnamense 'Franceville'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice. Interesting what Xavier said before in another topic, that real, staight vietnamense is rare as a hen with teeth and most of viets on markets are hcm x viet backcrosses. Strange that there is no available pic about a flowering specimen in its habitat. I remember i had two viet selections from Germany, all turned to hcm with reddish staminode. Now i have another one in bud, i can t wait to see....

Problems with hcm x viet back crosses....It is a straight viet, from net.View attachment 45690
And this, from Wicharuj
View attachment 45691
Yes it’s possible to look pure (low rates) but most look contaminated.

I’ve bloomed a few batches that were supposed to be vietnamense but were HCM lines. Many possible combinations so look at all characteristics.

Leslie, if you look at staminode, not just the color but shape is different. Straight viet has heart shape staminode, as you can see....i have never seen no in situ pics nor collected plants in flower, so if you have, share with me , please.Screenshot_20240219_144048.jpg

Last edited:
For comparison, Erythrone's plant (beautiful, but i think, but not pure viet), original drowing, pure viet.
Screenshot_20240218_220307.jpgScreenshot_20240219_144910.jpgScreenshot_20240218_215640_edit_202092251929968.jpg
Difference is obvious...

sorry - don't know the difference you are referring too.

here are 2 different viets out at the moment from 2 different sources.

have you a link to Xaviers documents?

Attachments

• IMG_3690.JPG
    IMG_3690.JPG
    435.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3691.JPG
    IMG_3691.JPG
    459 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Pretty flower.... this year especially its colouration is better than its form in 2020 shape and colouration were quite good ... but obviously not every year brings the same result.
Very nice. Interesting what Xavier said before in another topic, that real, staight vietnamense is rare as a hen with teeth and most of viets on markets are hcm x viet backcrosses. Strange that there is no available pic about a flowering specimen in its habitat. I remember i had two viet selections from Germany, all turned to hcm with reddish staminode. Now i have another one in bud, i can t wait to see....
Istvan, I had a look at Olaf's book (Paphiopedilum Band 1/volume 1) and the photos of P. vietnamense on pages 102-109. Even if I presume that that what Xavier said may be true ... I can't see any difference of the pictured flowers in the book, including the staminode and the flower of Erythrone's P. vietnamense.
You also should regard that there's a lot of variation, not only with P. vietnamense but with all other species with a wide distribution area.

Very interesting comments. But I am not ready to change the tag of this plant... maybe someday, but not now.... I grew many delenatiis in my life and I've grown a few HCM too. Have some viets from different sources too. Of course, I see many pictures of P. vietnamense that look like HCM on the web. Of course, I can't certified this plant, that is the first viet I got (2010), is not a hybrid. But variation is normal on a plant population and that one doesn't have the 'improved shape' of a hybrid with delanatii nor the leaves. Flower bud has also the shape of what I expect for a true viet

Pictures of leaves and staminoide.... View attachment 45723View attachment 45724
Very nice, there is no doubt...the question is just the same as about lawrenceanum hyeanum or calosum var. sanderae. Most of lawrenceanum hyeanum is really maudiae femma, most callosum sanderae is maudiae, too, on market. A nice clump of real callosum sanderae was found in the jungle few months ago. Divisions were sold for 1500 usd/ growth...all divisions were sold within few days. If real callosum album is so common as we see in trade, how we can explain this kind of high price? Nurseries crossed many paphs and back again with pure species in vietnam, thailand and japan...and sold them as pure species...

Last edited:
Very interesting comments. But I am not ready to change the tag of this plant... maybe someday, but not now.... I grew many delenatiis in my life and I've grown a few HCM too. Have some viets from different sources too. Of course, I see many pictures of P. vietnamense that look like HCM on the web. Of course, I can't certified this plant, that is the first viet I got (2010), is not a hybrid. But variation is normal on a plant population and that one doesn't have the 'improved shape' of a hybrid with delanatii nor the leaves. Flower bud has also the shape of what I expect for a true viet
Leslie mentioned he could see it in nature....my problem is that i have never seen viet in bloom in nature so i really don t know how a straight viet loooks like.. All pictures in books are garden plants, none of them are in situ pics.

Leslie mentioned he could see it in nature....my problem is that i have never seen viet in bloom in nature so i really don t know how a straight viet loooks like.. All pictures in books are garden plants, none of them are in situ pics.
I may have pics of collected plants in some nurseries later. We shall see the natural variation of the staminodes.

Latest posts

Back