Paphiopedilum henryanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased this plant in 2012, and this is the first time it even attempted to bloom. On one hand the color is stunning. On the other... well the rest of it is not.

View attachment 43342
It looks very….earnest to me (potential clonal name?), and like it’s coming in for a big hug. Looks like a nice clump too, congrats on the culture!

These grow like weeds for me. One of the few I can reliably bloom every year. I have noticed that the shape, size and color vary on the same plant every year. I've almost got rid of two because of the shape. The next year the shape was great, although the color wasn't as good.

I would say this is a keeper

Love those colors And spots! I could get used to those in flight petals (I don’t grow to show, just to get a pleasing bloom)❣️

Two real cuties that is for sure!
Just a wonderful job growing them and taking such wonderful images! 🥰 💕 :p

It really has been quite a few years ago but back when I was younger, when Henryanum was newly discovered, I can remember picking a plant up from a vendors table. I can't remember they year or the vendor but they were asking $5,000 per plant! Mostly single growth plants. I do not remember if people bought any but that memory will be forever in my brain. I would have loved to have had one but at five thousand, that is just a little too steep of a price. That was at a New York Orchid Show.
Edited to add: I see it's first AOS award was back in 1988 so this must have been 1989 or 90 when I saw one for $5,000! 1988 was the first year that the New York Show was at the World Trade Center. We had moved there from the Bronx Botanic Garden and the Enid A. Haupt Conservatory.

Last edited:
$5K for a single growth?? Wow, that is an amazing price, especially in 1989. I can not imagine paying that much for a plant, let alone a single growth. My confidence, and disposable income, would have to be through the roof to make that kind of purchase. Were these awarded or selected? Or was that just the asking price considering it was a newly discovered species?

Newly discovered species is probably why but it was quite a charming new species as well. I imagine lots of people wanted it.
But with a lot of things, people charge or ask for a lot of money. They ask for what they think that the market will bear.

$5K for a single growth?? Wow, that is an amazing price, especially in 1989. I can not imagine paying that much for a plant, let alone a single growth. My confidence, and disposable income, would have to be through the roof to make that kind of purchase. Were these awarded or selected? Or was that just the asking price considering it was a newly discovered species?
First rungsuriyanum sold for 1000US a growth in Taiwan and Japan... So a decent plant was 2000-3000us... Ironically, generic henryanum wild collected usually trade in Thailand for 15-20US/kg, and in Viet Nam for 5-10US/kg max today.

Lovely two henry flowers, Darlene and I say this wholhearted even if th plant won't achieve a price of 5k if you would try to sell it.

First rungsuriyanum sold for 1000US a growth in Taiwan and Japan... So a decent plant was 2000-3000us... Ironically, generic henryanum wild collected usually trade in Thailand for 15-20US/kg, and in Viet Nam for 5-10US/kg max today.
I want that level of confidence in my growing. Paying thousands of dollars for a newly discovered species is too risky for my taste. I would be too concerned it would die on my watch.

The price per kilogram pricing is amazing to me.

Latest posts

Back