Paphiopedilum venustum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really good color. The red petals are deep in tone, a trait that is highly desirable for this species.

There are several issues that could be better like a less hooded dorsal, longer petals and flatter stance. But it has much potential for all those in future. A keeper for sure.

It really does have rich and fabulous color! I would have to have it in front of me but is it misaligned? Dorsal center, staminode center and the center of the pouch don’t seem to line up. Both the dorsal and pouch seem to be slightly to the left of the center of the flower or if you would like, the staminode seems to be to the right of the dorsal and pouch center.
Nit picking? Perhaps. But the standards for venustums seem quite high.

It really does have rich and fabulous color! I would have to have it in front of me but is it misaligned? Dorsal center, staminode center and the center of the pouch don’t seem to line up. Both the dorsal and pouch seem to be slightly to the left of the center of the flower or if you would like, the staminode seems to be to the right of the dorsal and pouch center.
Nit picking? Perhaps. But the standards for venustums seem quite high.
You’re right. Perhaps it’s just trying it’s best at first bloom lol.

This is a first time bloomer, and hopefully, the form will get better with age and strength. I realized that it was not perfect by a long stretch. However, I still love the ruby color. Plus I am encouraged that it has not reflexed completely like a bird in flight.

I cannot see the misalignment in-person. However, you judges see things I don't immediately ;) .

Well with young plants, the alignment can often improve. It is not set in stone.
When you think about developing buds, all of those flower parts crammed in there, it really is hard to predict with long term certainty.
I use a three strike you are out rule myself. If it blooms three times and things don’t really improve, I think about tossing it.
But honestly, with color like that, I would hold out hope a bit longer.

Latest posts

Back