Paphiopedilum trantuanii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Damas

Hello All,
I bought this paphiopedilum from a european orchid prod.
I tried to grab information or photos of the flower (the one I bought is not in flower) but found many different opinions regarding this trantuanii that I am even more confused now...
Some people think it's a primary hybrid, some other a true species. Does anyone here have information and pics of the plant/flower ? This would be so great ! :)

Thank you Emydura, so I believe trantuanii is this :

image003.jpg

That's cool, I like it. Here is a photo of my plant. It has already four growth, each one of decent size, so hopefully I'll be able to post pics of flowers in a close future :

Your plant sure looks healthy. Shouldn't take long to flower.

As Rick said in the previous link, the flowers just look like gratrixianum x henryanum. The pouch, petals and big spots are all henryanum. I'm a little scepticle that this is a valid species. Although Olaf thinks it is and he knows a lot more than me.

Where is it meant to be found?

David

I bought mine at Nardotto e Capello, an italian prod near french border. It was the first time I heard of this trantuanii paph, so I ordered it :)
Nardotto e Capello are well known over here to have nice and healthy orchids, at a very good price.

I can't say that I've heard of it either. Will look forward to seeing pics when it blooms. Nice compact, healthy plant!

Actually, you would expect red markings on the leaves of a hybrid of gratrixianum x henryanum. Yours has no markings at all. So it couldn't be a hybrid of these two species.

Does anyone know where trantuanii is suppose to be found naturally?

David

I hope you very nice blooms soon, so that we all know what it is exaclty or approximatelly...!!!! :)

Hello Damas, look like paph. coccineum

Hi Hakone, I also have a coccineum, I am sure it's a coccineum as I have it for a year now and it already bloomed. In order to compare I took two shots. Cocci is on the left, trantuanii on the right. Trantuanii is darker in color and leaves looks like if they were cover with varnish. They are also softer that coccineum leaves, which are quite rigide and more matte, and of a lighter green :

If I interpret this thread correctly it comes from Vietnam which is where henryanum can be found. So you are probably right Rick. Strange dorsal for a henryanum though and there doesn't appear to be any red mottling at the bottom of the leaves either.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7512&page=2

David

Ny henryanums don't have any red mottling at the bottom of the leaves either, and the dorsal is only weird (compared to a standard henryanum) by having a white border.

Anyway things get lumped and split for smaller differences than these, so who knows.:sob:

You are right, they are different
I see clearly in the photos that one has shiny leaves & the other one is with matted leaf texture.
I guess you have to wait for the flower. I would love to see the flower too
This is the first time I heard of this paph.
Obviously growers in US like I am can be quite ignorant since we do not have the plants that Europeans & Asians have access to.

Hi Hakone, I also have a coccineum, I am sure it's a coccineum as I have it for a year now and it already bloomed. In order to compare I took two shots. Cocci is on the left, trantuanii on the right. Trantuanii is darker in color and leaves looks like if they were cover with varnish. They are also softer that coccineum leaves, which are quite rigide and more matte, and of a lighter green :

You are right, they are different
I see clearly in the photos that one has shiny leaves & the other one is with matted leaf texture.

I've see that much variation amongst different clones of henryanum and barbigerum. For that matter I've seen that much difference in the same plants just grown under different conditions of temp and humidity.

Damas, where did you get your coccineum from? I have it from N&C and both plants look like your trantuanii: darker in color and leaves like covered with varnish. Maybe something they use at N&C to spray their plants with? insecticide or so? my Paph.tranlienianum from them (arrived in the same order) also has the same shiny look....

Coccineum comes from Alfa orchids (Albert Falcinelli) in the south of France. I do agree with tranlien look. Among all my paphs, tranlienianum foliage is the closest I could find to trantuanii one, same colour and texture.

Here is a pic my last coccineum bloom :

3420682286_227b51678b.jpg

wow, Damas, that's a cutie... looking forward to seeing my both coccineum blooming...

Back