Paphiopedilum philippinense var roebelenii 'Coco' AM/AOC

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Breathtaking! How old is the plant and how many growths does it have? Just wondering what it takes to grow Paph phil into such a specimen.

Gorgeous Paph. and I don't even grow Paphs. I do grow a Cav. King Charles tri-color. Coco is such a sweetie.
They really "get you" with those soft spaniel eyes. Sally, my Cav., is excessively spoiled and so loving and
sweet.

Same with Coco. They are such a lovely natured breed.

Breathtaking! How old is the plant and how many growths does it have? Just wondering what it takes to grow Paph phil into such a specimen.

Thanks Jim. The plant has 7 growths, so not a huge clump. Some of my other phils are much more vigorous and would have two or three times more growths. But the flowers are not as nice. I bought this clone as a 2 growth division about 15 years ago. An orchid nursery here saw it in the US, and loved it so much, they went to all the trouble and expense of importing it into Australia. When I told them that I had got it awarded, they said their division had died. So I think mine is the only plant now.

From my experience, philippinense seems the easiest of the multi-floral species to grow into a specimen plant. They seem to multiply more readily than some of the other species. I don't find they flower as easily though.

Beautiful flowers and magnificent display and presentation! Congratulations on the outstanding culture, you’re growing that plant to perfection!

That is one special killer plant David. The take home message for me is you. Your dedication to the hobby, your persistence for culture perfection really stands out. I mean really for a two growth plant to go to seven growths in 15 yrs, that is slowwww. Doubling in size on average every seven yrs take real dedication on your part. Impressive achievement David.
For me philippinense rots so easily so to push one to specimen size is a feat!

That is one special killer plant David. The take home message for me is you. Your dedication to the hobby, your persistence for culture perfection really stands out. I mean really for a two growth plant to go to seven growths in 15 yrs, that is slowwww. Doubling in size on average every seven yrs take real dedication on your part. Impressive achievement David.
For me philippinense rots so easily so to push one to specimen size is a feat!

Thanks Rick. What a lovely comment, especially from such an accomplished grower as yourself. It is funny, as I see other people on this forum growing multi-florals like they are Cymbidiums with lots of new growths and I wonder what I am doing wrong. :) I have certainly learnt to be more patient growing multi-florals. But their slow growth and infrequent flowering means you never lose the buzz when you see that spike emerging. Other orchids can be exciting to flower at first, but the excitement fades as you flower them every year. It never fades with your multi Paphs as you wonder whether you will get more flowers on the spike or bigger and better flowers. Even the recent initiation of new growths on two of my roth seedlings I had been growing for 8 years had me buzzing for days. :)

I have found that philippinense can rot easily as well. I have a couple of clones where the new growths keep rotting. Fortunately this Coco clone seems pretty resistant to rot.

Hats off to you both for MF mastery. I’m still an amateur with these types. They grow, die or refused to bloom for me lol. I have multigrowth phils that simply taunt me without spikes. Ughhhh.

It’s so bad that in comparison I grow the cuths and coccineas better than the MFs. How is that possible lol?!?!

My Paphiopedilum philippinense var roebelenii 'Coco' AM/AOC flowered with 3 spikes (16 flowers) this year including 6 flowers on one spike for the first time. The best this plant has ever flowered.

philippinense%20Coco%202022.jpg

philippinense%20Coco%202022%20closeup.jpg

And who is this Coco deserving of having this orchid named in their honor? My loyal Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. An orchid worthy of his royal status. :)

284%20com.jpg
Very well grown and spectacular. CONGRATS!!!!

Back