Paphiopedilum micranthum variations

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roth

Reaction score
Few pictures from today, not yet the best ones blooming, but I never know if I have time to take photos, so...

Micranthum from Vietnam ( the Micranthum var. vietnamense from the Japaneses...). It comes from North Vietnam, and is most likely micranthum var. eburneum. All the blooming size micranthum var. eburneum sold in the trade are from that type, some have very good flowers, most do not at all...

This is a micranthum Kwangsee, though the flower bud was smashed, and they usually bloom for me in june, that one is a too early bloomer:

The main difference between the eburneum Vietnam, the Kwangsee type has very contrasted petals, very white pouch, with no pink, and al lthe flower segments are very round. If they are genuine Kwangsee types, there are no bad ones, never. Micranthum Yai, the Grand Champion of the TIOS was a Kwangsee type too. Iweyshen posted the result of micranthum Kwangsee x malipoense, that's why the Fanaticum produced are so beautiful, the marks are very dark on the petals, very good contrast, and the shape is 'rounded'.

The plants of micranthum Kwangsee always have silver leaves, and a very regular pattern on the leaves, about 20% heave nearly no leaf markings too. They grow in a very different environment too.

Next, a micranthum with two flower buds, should open in a week or two:

Yunnan type of micranthum. It is more an oddity, that usually do not reappear so frequently.

A micranthum from Tuyen Quang, open for a month and starting to fade:

Another micranthum, the plant is quite 'normal', and shows nothing special, but the flower is 9.6 cm wide, very wide flower petals, from China:

Micranthum 'Cao Bang', a selected one:

Unfortunately I have no time to take photos at present time, though I think this would have been interesting to see varieties of known origin. The Kwangsee will bloom in may june for me, and I still have to bloom more of the Cao Bang selected ones. They grow in Orchiata ( of course), dry and cool in winter, extra limestone, and high P fertilizer, this way they tend to mature a growth in a year, some strains take two years consistently ( Kwangsee types).

The photos are very slightly out of focus, as usual with me...

:rollhappy:
No, the photos are fine! Yay, my camera is on vacation, send it back to me when you're done! :poke:

Interesting, I noticed the unpinched staminode shield! :drool:

Very foggy!
Pics are like taken in the mists, ...no paphi sees the other, every one is alone...
Are the pics a hommage to Hermann Hesse?

I'd REALLY (!!!!!) like to see these photos and be able to enjoy them. I was all excited when I read the title of this thread. But, they are WAY too big and WAY too blurry. Sorry; but, I just don't see the point in posting such photos.

Xavier, you need to slow down and enjoy your love/hobby! We're all getting to the age that rushing a round has no good benefits! Relax and take good PICs. This is history in the making. We/you may never see these flowers again!

Il n'est pas juste de présenter au spectateur de telles photos. Ne prenez pas au sérieux le public.

I don't know what you are doing when taking photos Xavier... but I think I don't want to know! :D (tu dois être en train de penser à P.L. lol)

Back