Paphiopedilum helenae (two plants)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kavanaru

hhhhmmm.... my first two Paph helenae have opened (ok, not yet fully, but open)... to be honest, I am a bit dissappointed as I was expecting them to be yellow or yellow/orange... These are the first Paph helenae I see with such "insipid" colours... :( Somehow interesting, anyway... Both plants come from the same nursery and are first time bloomer (I assume they are even from the same flask)...

Paph. helenae # 1:

Paph helenae # 2

both plants for comparison

I keep hoping that either they become yellow in few days, or that at leats the third plant (from a different vendor) produces yellower flowers (currently with two buds)... and that I do not get any surprise with the var. delicatum I bought from Franz Glanz :)

in the meantime, I think I will continue running after a yellow/orange Paph. helenae... ;) and of course I am still looking for var. aureum :D

Yes, most of the ones I have seen have been yellow. Cute still.

Look forward to seeing your delicatum. It is one I'm looking for but not easy to find.

David

You have it & it's blooming ! :clap::clap::clap:

You may already have it! This will be interesting to see color change, keep us posted!

well, I also thought of that... but the pouch is a bit too dark for aureum... let's wait some few days more and see what happens with them :)

They are very lovely flowers and happy looking plants. The colour is also interesting and I'm curious to see how this will turn out, the helenae that I've seen has much, much more intense colour.

Congrats Ramon!!!! 3 helenae blooms, 1 to come !!! :drool:

I would be happy with that!! (my 3growths plant looks still smaller than yours, and seems to have some bud coming, but still so tiny!!) Jean

Interesting color! Maybe it's a new variety? :poke: :p

The flower on my screen appears very pale yellow, like ivory color. Not sure how accurate is it? actually.. it would be great IMO if there's a pure ivory color or white variety of helenae.

Interesting color! Maybe it's a new variety? :poke: :p

The flower on my screen appears very pale yellow, like ivory color. Not sure how accurate is it? actually.. it would be great IMO if there's a pure ivory color or white variety of helenae.

yeah... var. smaragdinum :) Actually, the flowers are pale green...

check this: http://www.helveticorchids.ch/de/in...A4782CCC83300D80266238B974C042F1EA078F84C7D44 true colour.... I have seen the plant bou it is not for sale... This is however (as for my understanding) what has been described as var. aureum (forma aureum, actually)

Nice healthy plants you got there!

I talked to a vendor lately who had some very dark helenaes and he said the flower colour very much depends on the climatic and cultural conditions. It may be too hot right now for intense colours?

Best wishes,

Nice healthy plants you got there!

I talked to a vendor lately who had some very dark helenaes and he said the flower colour very much depends on the climatic and cultural conditions. It may be too hot right now for intense colours?

Best wishes,

Yes, that's right... and indeed it has been quite hot here in the last few days/weeks.. However, I would still have expected at least some hint of yellow/orange, and not pale green flowers... as I said before, let's wait and see what happens with them after several days...

Ramon I think you have a real treat here! It may turn out to be a rare form of helenae that very few have and you have two! Worth big $$

Latest posts

Back