Paphiopedilum haynaldianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I bought this paph I knew that there is no such “haynaldianum var. Dark”, but I really liked the flowers and the compact leaves so I got it anyway :sob:

Like I tell ppl at OS meetings who lost their plant tag,and don't know the name of a plant.As long as you like it and think its pretty,call it whatever you want.Just don't pass it onto someone else telling them its something that its not.

I can believe this plant is a "one off" plant of haynaldianum. We have richardianum and lynii sports from lowii. Even within lowii we see many slighty different flowers of lowii. So its believable sports of any paph including haynaldies to have isolated pockets of plants showing drift in the quote, "standard species". others; sanderianum, highland vs low land varieties, adductum vs anitum, philippinense and all of its sports

I believe Evergreen, now send me a division!

I can believe this plant is a "one off" plant of haynaldianum. We have richardianum and lynii sports from lowii. Even within lowii we see many slighty different flowers of lowii. So its believable sports of any paph including haynaldies to have isolated pockets of plants showing drift in the quote, "standard species". others; sanderianum, highland vs low land varieties, adductum vs anitum, philippinense and all of its sports

I believe Evergreen, now send me a division!

I agree with you Rick. There isn't enough evidence to be 100% confident the label is wrong. It is not your typical haynaldianum but I see a lot of this species in it. While in your Toni Semple I can clearly see a lot of influence from the lowii parent, I'm not seeing that same influence in this. While it looks a bit unusual, I really can't put this down to anything in particular. Maybe what you say is correct Rick. It is just a bit of a mutation.

I had too this haynaldianum "Dark" with good color but I didn't like this "bad" form.

The plants sold are probably wild collected plants some years ago. It's why it's sure it's not an hybrid.

Normlay they are correct with the plant they sell, there was a fe dark ones around and still beeing offered.
So I think it could be a real one. A lot of plant still come out of the wild I feel, so you can never be sure after years, if yours not too come from there.

I agree with you Rick. There isn't enough evidence to be 100% confident the label is wrong. It is not your typical haynaldianum but I see a lot of this species in it. While in your Toni Semple I can clearly see a lot of influence from the lowii parent, I'm not seeing that same influence in this. While it looks a bit unusual, I really can't put this down to anything in particular. Maybe what you say is correct Rick. It is just a bit of a mutation.

It's about the flowering season of haynaldianums too.

I think it is great! Nothing wrong with a bit of variation. The colours are superb, shape perhaps a bit unusual for mainstream, but lovely all the same. If its shape disturbs you, I would gladly take it off your hands:)

OK seeing more photos, I am less certain it is a hybrid.

For what it is worth, a few nurseries in the Philippines (where this was imported from) do make hybrids. But then again, after looking at the clones of the group on Flicker, it might be haynaldianum.

Either way, I like the flower, would keep one if it were mine. Worth continuing to investigate. Don't change your labels just yet.

FWIW, I've found that blooming haynaldianum under cooler conditions definitely leads to darker flowers.

Latest posts

Back