Paphiopedilum Gloria Naugle with Veriagated Leaves

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
This is definitely not normal, but the plant has been growing fine.
I don't really mind it, but my only concern if any, is that if this might have anything to do with flower quality.

Have you seen veriagated paphs and their flowers?

seedling_zpsf7zrwpfg.jpeg

This is definitely not normal, but the plant has been growing fine.
I don't really mind it, but my only concern if any, is that if this might have anything to do with flower quality.

Have you seen veriagated paphs and their flowers?

seedling_zpsf7zrwpfg.jpeg

It is probably an unstable variegation, caused by a chimera, ie some cells in the meristem have mutated and have less chlorophyll. The next growth will probably be all green. A lot of variegated Neofinetia's do have stable variegation traits that are genetic, so each growth the type of variegation will look pretty much the same (as that trait is in the genes of that plant). If this growth will get a flower, than yes, you may get some color breaks, but then the next flower on the next growth will probably be normal...

Robert

That sounds pretty reasonable.
The newest leaf is still too small to tell, but only top three leaves show these two white streaks on each, and the older leaves are not showing any.
Interesting.

This happens to be the best among a few I have. The other ones are not even half the size of this. Oh, well...

I've had three with this trait and found that, in my experience, they seemed harder to bloom. I did bloom one, still have the second that I'm waiting on (Gloria Naugle, somewhat hard to bloom anyway) and pitched the third (Paph. Stonei x niveum). I tried it under every growing condition I could think of. Had it for eight to ten years and the plant was huge but never attempted to bloom.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the variegation issue or not, just my observation.

Oh, what a pity!
P. stonei x niveum could have been amazing in bloom.
Oh well...
I wish these hybrids were whole lot more willing bloomers because they are so good when they turn out good.

Yeah, but it was given a terrible name, Paph. Luk Luk. Maybe because that's what you needed in order to get it to bloom?

Here's a picture of a nice one from the net.
image.jpg

Well, be glad it is not Sarah Palin or something horrible like that. hahaha

Beautiful flowers as I imagined! but I have never seen this hybrid offered anywhere. No one tries this anymore?

It's amazing how niveum x multi shows this soft pink color.

Back