Paphiopedilum Duke of Earl - kolopakingii X adductum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Olaf -

I have been told that kolopakingii doesn't tend to lend it's offspring its relatively high flower count, but does pass forward it's tremendous size. I have also been told , and I quote, that "it should have never been taken out of the jungle." What has been your experience with this species as a parent?

I have been told that kolopakingii doesn't tend to lend it's offspring its relatively high flower count, but does pass forward it's tremendous size. I have also been told , and I quote, that "it should have never been taken out of the jungle." What has been your experience with this species as a parent?

Just my 2 cents... What if kolo was used as the pollen parent and not the pod? Then the hybrid would be less likely to be monster-sized.. No?

Yeah, kolopakingii is a huge species, with pretty bad form, but I personally like how it breeds. It's too fun to say not to have around anyway!
IMO it DOES give floriferousness. Mix adductum by any other Coryo and I doubt you'll get six flowers as seen here. Adductum has usually 2-4 flowers per spike. Kolopakingii can have double digits without breaking a sweat. I'm with Paphioboy in believing (and observing) the pod parent tends give a bit of a larger genetic contribution- in veggie and floral traits.

-Ernie

Latest posts

Back