Paphiopedilum canhii in the wild

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting that it doesn't show up on The Plant List:

http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/search?q=Paphiopedilum+canhii

I can't explain why it's not listed there.

The authors of the article under discussion seem to publish everything they come across but seldom have their "new" species, forms and varieties accepted.
I was going to list a few references but the list you linked to, shows some of their work.
http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/search?q=Paphiopedilum+canhii

Paphiopedilum canhii var. funingense Z.J.Liu et L.J.Chen. ridiculously :rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:

This form grows along with the regular canhii in North Viet Nam

If this form is, and has been, found in the same locality as the more familiar variety I would imagine we would have seen photos in the last few years.

I can count the # canhii bloom photos I've seen on my digits so there aren't too many of them. I wish Liu and Chen luck but I don't hold much sway with lots of "new discoveries" coming from that region. :eek:

Last edited:
Whether the locality in China is correct or not, and for better or worse, it has opened up a path for production. HP said that its already in the works. The permits, maybe not so much. Still, quite interesting.

Hopefully Mr. Canh and others can conserve in situ populations as well.

Hopefully Mr. Canh and others can conserve in situ populations as well.

It is really difficult to conserve in situ populations because of demand for this one seem to increasing. However as you can see recently this species not common in Vietnam market but somehow still available (but not like in the past - that also mean not too many local people go to exploit it).
Hope this year I can go back to make more photo of this species in situ.

April this year I went to forest to shoot more photo of this species blooming but I did not success. Most of population I found last year no longer there.

Thank you for the original photo. It is fabulous!

I am very sorry to hear about this year's results.

Latest posts

Back