Paphiopedilum canhii in the wild

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the drool and the overheating. You express lust in such a gentlemanly way.
Oh! well you know, discretion is the better part...:)

I hear they are very rare in the wild now. On eBay from China periodically they are available but there is only one breeder I know who has them.

Great pics thanks for sharing

Would be nice to have pollen for hybrids....

Or better to get seed

I took 2 fruits from this trip back home for my friend to try, let see.

Great pics... Love the in situ pictures off paph species. It's nice to see the habitat.

Hi Xcahn

In the pictures it seems canhii has some variation in leaves patterns or colors : on the right there is a canhii ( could you Confirm?) on the right of a wood branch wich seems almost green with light patterns and less tesselated that the others.
Do you see some different leaves colors and tesselation in the wild for paph cahnii ?

Thank you for your comment

Philippe

Hi Xcahn

In the pictures it seems canhii has some variation in leaves patterns or colors : on the right there is a canhii ( could you Confirm?) on the right of a wood branch wich seems almost green with light patterns and less tesselated that the others.
Do you see some different leaves colors and tesselation in the wild for paph cahnii ?

Thank you for your comment

Philippe

One plant out of five usually has nearly plain green leaves without any pattern. No difference in the flower so far.

Hi Xcahn
Thank you for your comment Philippe

One plant out of five usually has nearly plain green leaves without any pattern. No difference in the flower so far.

Obviously there are variations.
A new variety of Paph canhii has been described in the latest issue of 'Die Orchidee' [64(4), 2013] Paphiopedilum canhii var. funingense Z.J.Liu et L.J.Chen.
The new variety differs from the typical Paph canhii by its much shorter flower stem -it's only 2 cm long-, the green striped dorsal and a synsepal which is nearly as wide as the dorsal.
There are also photos and paintings but it's complicated to publish them in this forum with regard to the copyright (a link doesn't exist).
@ Mr. Canh
Thank you for your photos and information. Both I enjoy very much !

Obviously there are variations.
A new variety of Paph canhii has been described in the latest issue of 'Die Orchidee' [64(4), 2013] Paphiopedilum canhii var. funingense Z.J.Liu et L.J.Chen.
The new variety differs from the typical Paph canhii by its much shorter flower stem -it's only 2 cm long-, the green striped dorsal and a synsepal which is nearly as wide as the dorsal.
There are also photos and paintings but it's complicated to publish them in this forum with regard to the copyright (a link doesn't exist).
@ Mr. Canh
Thank you for your photos and information. Both I enjoy very much !

Thank you for your precision!

Hi Canh, do you have a picture of the new variety?
I think he doesn't have one, 'cause Canh lives in Vietnam.
This variety was found close to a Chinese town named Funing which is situated in the Southeast of Yunnan. It was also described by Chinese taxonomists.

Thank guru can you email me or pm me the capture, scans or whatever material you have regarding the new variety?

I stored the article on my web account and I think this link could be a solution and should not be against the copyright laws.
Paphiopedilum canhii var. funingense Z.J.Liu et L.J.Chen 'Die Orchidee' [64(4), 2013

Thank you a lot for the article.
Flower of this new variety seems aberrant regarding canhii from vietnam.
It is like the first pics of paph hiepii, with a strange and ugly pouch.
How an insect could pollinate a flower with an almost closed pouch like that ?

Thanks Rudolf. Very interesting though to me it could be a deform specimen. I must say i like the Vietnam canhii though.

Interesting. I agree, it appears to be just a deformed flower - unless of course they found a flowering colony of them...

Question to anyone, what is the taxonomic status of this species at present? It so far is not being listed on Kew's Plant List at all, which I find surprising.

Back