Paphiopedilum callosum var. sublaeve

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely. Mine is in the paph infirmary. In other words, potted in sponge-rok, sitting in a bath of KLN water, and it is responding nicely, lots of beautiful new root tips. Yours looks just fine to me, good growing!

Would you elaborate please? I would have thought that sponge rock would damage the delicate tips of new roots.

The leaves on this plant look a lot more like mine. I have a spike started and hopefully it will not blast like it did last year.

Would you elaborate please? I would have thought that sponge rock would damage the delicate tips of new roots.

I roughly followed the instructions in that recent article in Orchid Digest about rejuvenating root challenged paphs -- pot them in sponge rock and sit the pot in a couple inches of water containing KLN rooting hormone, mist them with KLN solution daily.

So far, I've seen mostly good results. I did this in December, and plan to leave them there until March, then pot up the ones with nice roots and perhaps give the non-responding ones another go in the infirmary. The folks in the article did state that they had better results doing this in warm weather, rather than in winter.

Back