Paphiopedilum callosum var. sublaeve

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Damas

Could be better in shape but it's a first time bloomer and the plant itself is very young (and small), it was supposed to bloom only next year. So hopefully it will improve :

Hello Marion,your callosum var.sublaeve has very nice colouring. I think it is very nice and is one of my favourite orchids. I hope you will have success with the callosums. Bernhard

Could be better in shape but it's a first time bloomer and the plant itself is very young (and small), it was supposed to bloom only next year. So hopefully it will improve :

The flower will probably get even more impressive on a mature plant, but the shape is excellent for var. sublaeve, probably the best I've seen. If it had the broader dorsal and horizontal petals of highly selected forms of callosum it wouldn't be sublaeve. This maintains the charm of the var.

Thank you very much for your opinion ! I thought sublaeve is supposed to have petals more "oblique" (I don't know if it is the right term...)
For instance if I search the internet for sublaeve pics, I find it looks very different from mine.
This is why I thought it was lacking of type :)

... For instance if I search the internet for sublaeve pics, I find it looks very different from mine.
This is why I thought it was lacking of type :)

seems like those on the internet are lacking in type! :clap:

Could you post a picture of the whole plant? I have one that I purchased from one of our vendors but its leaves did not look anything like the leaves of another var. sublaeve that was shown on this site. So I am curious to see yours.

Thank you very much :)

Pictures !
The whole plant (pot is 3.5 inches/9cm diameter to give you an idea of its size) :

3253482191_d529dd8a5f.jpg

3253482437_b5ccb6b3c0.jpg

3253482669_a73bfe65b2.jpg

I agree with the rest. The shape and colour is superb. I'd be rapt with that one. I've had no luck with sublaeve. Been very poor growers for me eventually just fading away.

David

I was glad to read the other's opinions -- when I saw the flower, I wondered what was wrong with it also, because it looks almost perfect to me! I'd sure be happy with it.

I was glad to read the other's opinions -- when I saw the flower, I wondered what was wrong with it also, because it looks almost perfect to me! I'd sure be happy with it.

Me too Dot.

Color is very nice, and the petals are wider than most. The dorsal is a bit pointy, but it's not as reflexed as most of the ones I've seen.

It's definitely a keeper, even for a first time bloomer.:clap:

Actually, that has the best shape of any sublaeve that I have seen. The good points to sublaeve are its great color and its tendency to be bifloral....shape has always been one of its drawbacks. Take care, Eric

Lovely. Mine is in the paph infirmary. In other words, potted in sponge-rok, sitting in a bath of KLN water, and it is responding nicely, lots of beautiful new root tips. Yours looks just fine to me, good growing!

Latest posts

Back