Paphiopedilum barbigerum var. aureum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Herrera

Reaction score
Today I selfed my paph. Barbigerum aureum and since it has no cultivar name I though of giving it one. This would make it easier to write it on the tag:rollhappy:
I have two possible cultivar names for it and I want your opinion on which do you consider the one that fits this orchid the best. Here are the names and the reasons why I chose them:

'Uranium glass'
I chose this name because the staminode looks glassy and the color resembles that of uranium glass.

'Heliodor'
Even though my orchid is not truly yellow I want to denote, again, the glassy appearance of the staminode that reminds me of this beautiful mineral.

So what do you think? This are my two options but if you have any that think it might fit tell me, I will consider it.
Thank you!

I think more people probably know what 'Uranium Glass' is than 'Heliodor'. Also the more intense color, and more memorable, helpful when you're marketing the seedlings in a few years. :wink:

Any plan that is worth propagating deserves a cultivar designation, so go for it.

Thank you guys for your input. If everything goes well, whenever I have flasks or seedlings I am planing to either sell them or exchange, according to my needs. That will take a while though.

Latest posts

Back