Paphiopedilum armeniacum basket culture success story

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPMC

Reaction score
Here is a pic of a Paph. armeniacum I received as a free-bee in 2006. It came to me in a pot and produced this pathetic flower:

Paphiopedilumarmeniacumplant12-23-2006.jpg
[/IMG]

As soon as the flower faded (about 1 month which is a relatively short-lived blossom for this species that typically produces blossoms that last for 3 months) I planted it in a wire basket lined with sphagnum moss and filled with regular paph. mix (fir bark, perlite, and charcoal). The plant grew at a good pace and now has about 16 growths, 1 open flower, and 4 buds.

Paphiopedilumarmeniacumplant10-29-2010.jpg
[/IMG]

I think that the flower quality has markedly improved. It measures 4 inches across:

Paphiopedilumarmeniacumflower10-29-2010.jpg
[/IMG]

I think you're right. It has improved. You've done this basket thing before. Question: how dry is dry before you water again? very light in weight or still fairly heavy?
I have setup the same as you BUT the wire basket came with a coconut liner and I used it. Is the coconut a bad thing?

I think you're right. It has improved. You've done this basket thing before. Question: how dry is dry before you water again? very light in weight or still fairly heavy?
I have setup the same as you BUT the wire basket came with a coconut liner and I used it. Is the coconut a bad thing?

I never let it dry out, even in winter. Under my conditions, daily watering in the summer and every-other-day in the winter. When I did let it dry slightly in winter the buds dried up.

I took the coconut liner out of mine. I suppose that if it's thin enough the stolons can still penetrate it.

I would think that the coconut lining would start breaking down after a couple of years and the stolens should have no problem breaking threw.

Mine has already broken through Bob one year out. Of course there could be many more trapped inside that I don't know about too.

I just planted a plant with multiple growths into a plastic basket lined with sphag. It's a Paph. primulinum 'Green Elf' x P. armeniacum which makes it Paph. Golddollar, right? It will be fun to see if it begins diving through soon or mostly grows upright. The plant seemed to be begging not to be corralled into a pot...

Cool!!!

Eric, I think someone here mentioned that micranthum does not do well in such culture. Well it is worth a try though! GL!!

nice... I have liked this method and the visual effect it has, since the first time I have seen it here in ST... Howeevr, I have been always a bit "afraid" of trying to grow armeniacum and try the basket culture (used to grow in an apartment)... maybe I'll try it next year :)

@ chrismende I have one Paph Golddollar which grows very well but makes no runners... so, I am not sure whether it would be a good candidate

on the other hand, my new Paph. Fumi's Delight makes lots of runners.. could be a good one to try... what do you think?

All my Fumi's Delights do is make lots of long runners! :mad: Maybe a basket for them!!!

well, don't ask me what I am exactly doing with it. I have the plant since about one month and it has produced a new developing growth, 3 new runner over the pot and at least one inside the pot (I have just seen it today), and it is also starting a spike! I was expecting this plant to take a while until it gets used to my growing conditions, but I think it is me the one who needs to get used to its growing habit... (My previous Fumi's Delight stayed there for about 4 months, then it bloomed and died :( )

Back