Paphiopedilum Ansorgei, a forgotten hybrid

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

ORG

40 years ago a very nice hybrid was shown in the journal of the German Orchid Society (Deutsche Orchideengesellschaft DOG).
The name of the hybrid was
Paphiopedilum Ansorgei,
but it was never registered. So the parents are also unknown.
Perhaps somebody knows more or has an idea.

PaphiopedilumAnsorgei-TitelbildDieO.jpg

PaphiopedilumAnsorgei-TitelbildD-1.jpg

The picture was painted by Claus Caspari.

Best greetings

Olaf

It says "Paphiopedilum Hybrid (something etc)" I can't make out the last word but it's probably Ansorgei

The photo definitely looks like a Paph. villosum hybrid, but I can also see some insigne in there. The plant from the picture/painting looks like it has insigne and perhaps spicerianum (due to the dark stripe in the middle of the petal) in it. So if the photo and the picture are the same plant maybe:

Paph. (insigne x spicerianum) x villosum

which would make it Paph. Albertianum (or Leanum) x villosum which has not been registered, so maybe this is the unknown Paph. Ansorgei.

Robert

I think it is just Paph. Leeanum or Paph. Garret A Hobart (Lathamianum x insigne). Here are some photos of different Paph. Leeanum.

Ramon:)

Paph_Leeanum1.jpg

Paphio.x%20Leeanum.jpg

1974423.jpg

Those pictures of Paph. Leeanum do look a lot like the painting of Paph. Ansorgei, but why did they not label it Paph. Leeanum?

I also like your suggestion of Paph. Garret A Hobart ((spicerianum x villosum) x insigne) which is close to what I suggested: (insigne x spicerianum) x villosum.

If it is NOT Paph. Leeanum, I do think it is some combination of Paph. spicerianum, insigne and villosum but it will be hard to tell without seeing the plant in person what it is exactly, but If it is a combination of those 3 I think that the spicerianum portion is only 25%.

Robert

I don't know if this helps or not, this is my Leeanum blooming now, you can see a lot of things in there. Jim.

IMG_0593.jpg

Many thanks for the hints and the interesting pictures.
Normally the breeders did kow very well the typical Paph. Leeanum. Normally they used also the correct names. But then in the time during the worldwar the contacts to the other hybridizer broke and the germans used their own names.
So I think that it is a hybrid with Paph. Leeanum and perhaps spicerianum.

We had the same the same problem with the hybrids produced in the eastern part of Germany, German Democratic Republic. Many hybrids were made but never registered. We have some pictures but no clear dicumentation about the parents.

Best greetings

Olaf

Here another one, shown in Switzerland 1993
[size=14pt]Paphiopedilum Leeanum 'Luzern' HCC/SOG 93[/size]
But then it was crossed with insigne, gratrixianum or perhaps Niobe?

PaphiopedilumLeeanumBewertung1993SO.jpg

Best greetings

Olaf

Today I had a longer talk with an older member of our society Mr. Günther Dankmeyer, a gardener with great experiences in breeding and great knowledge in history. He told me also the story of Paph. L'Ansorgei.
Mr. Ansorge was a gardener in Hamburg and had a lot of Paphiopedilum in his collection. He made also hybrids. So he made also the old cross between spicerianum and insigne. One of the bst clones grow very well and flowered easily. This clone was named 'L'Ansorgei'. After some years he had a greenhouse full with these plants. He used them for cutflowers. After a time the correct name was forgotten in trade and so the name Paph. L'Ansorgei was used.

Best greetings

OLaf

Thanks for the historical info Olaf!!! It is annoying that things get lost and then things get messed up...:(

Latest posts

Back