Paphinia Majestic

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
(herrarae x cristata)

I really didn't know how to approach photographing this one, but I really love the flower. Now that I have a warm humid environment for it, it actually bloomed!

Paphinia_Majestic.jpg

Paphinia_Majestic-close.jpg

Dot,

I've heard that Paphinia's have a reputation for being difficult to grow. But you're photo of a well-grown plant seems to disagree with that reputation. What culture do you give it?

Best Regards,
Nik

Wow! That is funky! :) ...I try not to click on the Other Orchids link...b/c I end up wanting others then that I don't have the space/conditions/money for! LOL

Dot,

I've heard that Paphinia's have a reputation for being difficult to grow. But you're photo of a well-grown plant seems to disagree with that reputation. What culture do you give it?

Best Regards,
Nik
Nik, I'm growing it in my basement greenhouse in the Winter. The temperature range is about 66º to 73ºF and the humidity is between 60 - 70%. It's under 2 4' full spectrum t12 fluorescent lights. In the Summer, it goes outside on my front porch that faces North. It's pretty humid here in Michigan in the Summer, and although the nights often get into the 50's, I think the key is warm days and humidity. I must say I wasn't able to grow or flower Paphinias before building the basement greenhouse.

I have two small paphinia I think cristatas that we had at an orchid club compotting clinic, and they seem to like being in moist but airy pots that are watered often, and think the good humidity helps. Have to love these large, colorful flowers on such small plants! nice pictures and flowers!

Thanks for the reply, Dot! I think I'll appreciate these gorgeous orchids vicariously though the photographs of others. I don't want to be buying orchids only to watch them die due to my neglect. There is no way I could provide humidity levels that high. :eek:

Back