Paph. Yellow Tiger a.k.a St. Swithin :<

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't find my posting of Yellow Tiger, but here it is again, for comparison:

/QUOTE]

I believe Yellow Tiger is now recognised as platyphyllum x praestans as this was the one that was first registered. Yours looks to be stoneii x praestans. I have a seedling of stoneii x praestans under the name of Paph Far City. So I assume that must be the new hybrid name for this cross. However I have never heard it used so I'm not 100% certain.

David

Yep, that was my first impression as well when I saw the picture that it was a Paph. Saint Swithin, but either way it is a nice flower!

Yahoo, I just noticed I posted 1000 posts!

Robert

Not what it's suppose to be :( , but isn't the great when it works out like this! :clap: :clap: It's a beauty!

I couldn't find my posting of Yellow Tiger, but here it is again, for comparison:

/QUOTE]

I believe Yellow Tiger is now recognised as platyphyllum x praestans as this was the one that was first registered. Yours looks to be stoneii x praestans. I have a seedling of stoneii x praestans under the name of Paph Far City. So I assume that must be the new hybrid name for this cross. However I have never heard it used so I'm not 100% certain.

David
When I get home, I'll have to check the parentage, but I believe that is correct.

LOL well this one really has me confused......I had seen a plant on e-bay I was thinking about buying until I read this thread and then this morning was doing some searching on the RHS site.....according to the site Paph Yellow Tiger is

Genus Paphiopedilum Epithet Yellow Tiger Synonym Flag This is not a synonym Synonym Genus Name Synonym Epithet Name

Seed ParentGenus

Paphiopedilum
Epithet
platyphyllum

Pollen ParentGenus

Paphiopedilum
Epithet
glanduliferum
Registrant Name F.CapriccioOriginator Name N.PowellDate of registration1/1/1984

there is no record for Paph Far City or for a stoneii x praestans cross

LOL well this one really has me confused......I had seen a plant on e-bay I was thinking about buying until I read this thread and then this morning was doing some searching on the RHS site.....according to the site Paph Yellow Tiger is

Genus Paphiopedilum Epithet Yellow Tiger Synonym Flag This is not a synonym Synonym Genus Name Synonym Epithet Name

Seed ParentGenus

Paphiopedilum
Epithet
platyphyllum

Pollen ParentGenus

Paphiopedilum
Epithet
glanduliferum
Registrant Name F.CapriccioOriginator Name N.PowellDate of registration1/1/1984

there is no record for Paph Far City or for a stoneii x praestans cross

I've never heard Paph Far City used either. I've googled it and came up with nothing. I've only seen stonei x praestans referred to as Yellow Tiger. But as platyphyllum x praestans is the true Yellow Tiger, there needs to be a new name for the stoneii hybrid. Maybe nothing has been registered.

It shouldn't stop you buying the plant though. You know what it should look like. The issue is what to call it.

David

Here's what my tag and notes say:
Yellow Tiger (stonei [platyphyllum] x praestans (Taylor's Orchids)

Is this another example of splitters and lumpers???

There is a Paph. Fair City, but it's Strawberry Fair x Canberra -- not this cross.

Here's what my tag and notes say:
Yellow Tiger (stonei [platyphyllum] x praestans (Taylor's Orchids)

Is this another example of splitters and lumpers???

There is a Paph. Fair City, but it's Strawberry Fair x Canberra -- not this cross.

My interpretation of the tag is that it is platyphyllum x praestans which is Yellow Tiger. I wouldn't have thought there would be so much white in the dorsal though for this cross. Yours looks more like a stoneii cross to me. I'd be interested in what others thought.

This is the same issue as the Lady Isabel / Taiwan hybrids. Before Paph platyphyllum was separately identified as a species, it's hybrids with rothschildianum was known as Paph Lady Isabel. Now it has been renamed Paph Taiwan.

Yellow Tiger was first registered with the platyphyllum parent. So it means the stoneii x praestans needs to be renamed. But I've yet to hear a new name for this cross. A nursery hear in Australia was selling Paph stoneii x praestans under the name of Paph Far City but I've never heard anyone else use it. Sounds a bizarre name in anycase.

This is all based under the assumption that platyphyllum is an accepted sepecies which I thought it generally was. Harold Koopowitz certainly recognises it in his recent book. This is a consequnce of splitting species. It causes a bit of confusion with previously named hybrids.

David

Latest posts

Back