Paph Wossner Zwerg

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigleaf

Reaction score
Paph Wössner Zwerg
(barbigerum X helenae)

This is a cute miniature paph hybrid that I got from Deerwood Orchids August 2013. It's in 2.25 inch pot as pictured. I grow it side by side with my phals and multiflora paph.

2a4d916888f589742fb3ab9c0f9811b2.jpg

4f8d9d95f6505e97b211eb428586f26f.jpg

Really cute! I got one from Deerwood around the same time last year, and its first bud is about to pop open soon. It might just be the photo, but the leaves on your plant look wider than the leaves on mine. I hope my plant's flower is as nice as yours.

I also got a Paph. Bailey's Bid at the same time, and that's currently in full bloom.

looks like barbigerum...no improvement at this time. Maybe breeding forward

It is probably smaller and more compact than barbigerum, and probably more vigorous than a helenae.....so it IS an improvement if you are trying to breed for small teacup Paph's... I sure would use it, in my line of "teacup" breading. I posted a post in the breeding section about this..

"Improvement" is sometimes in the "eye of the beholder"

Robert

looks like barbigerum...no improvement at this time. Maybe breeding forward

looks like a bigger floppy helenae in my eyes ... so no improvement on this side.
But a nice thing anyway.

Last edited:
Photo update. This is such a good grower. From Deerwood Orchids.

I might over potted this plant. However it is flowering again and there is no weed now. :)

d99ec78bb69d7c73435a784346523603.jpg

2802be95b90c92f2252e543dae00d828.jpg

fdec4ec3b9bba8b39bcbeec082b9207b.jpg

In the last photo you can see a new tiny growth has a brown leaf. I think I overwater/overpot it a little from 2.25 inch to 3.5 inch pot. But it's such a good grower. It has room to grow for the next 2 years.

Last edited:
I have a WZ just opening and your flowers have much
better pouch color. I have forgotten where I got mine, but
it's a good grower if a little pale. I bought three and Dot
has posted one that she won from me on the auction. It
appears that my flower is identical so far. I like them both anyway.

I don't think it's over-potted. All my WZ and helenae are in 4" clay
pots of Orchiata and doing very. They're approximately the same
size as yours. I do think helenae and hybrids like to run a bit
drier than many Paphs.

Thank you, Ross. I'm old and I forget almost everything.
So Peter has something in his culture that Dot and I lack
because his has much more pouch color. Hmmmm. Possibly more light? I think my dorsal is slightly better with a more prominent halo and a bit more upright.
Doesn't really matter; I love mine anyway. These comparisons intrigue me. Do you have a recent photo
of any of your plants blooming Ross?

Latest posts

Back