Paph wilhelminiae 3 flowers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Wendy-licious!" I love that! Thanks for my new favourite word! Hee, hee, hee!:evil:

"I still say it's wilhelminae though." I don't think the identity was ever in question. 'Don't understand what you're getting at, Ernie. Did I miss something on another thread? I've seen this plant in person and there's absolutely no question in my mind that it is wilhelminiae. :confused:

I think "-licious" goes well with about anything. :) Here, as Wen-delicious, works nicely.

Yeah, you must've missed the other thread. Just ruffling feathers over the third "i". wilhelminiae vs wilhelminae. Yeah, there's no doubt THIS plant is in THAT taxon. ;)

-Ernie

Just ruffling feathers over the third "i". wilhelminiae vs wilhelminae. Yeah, there's no doubt THIS plant is in THAT taxon. ;)

-Ernie

Okay. I understand now. I hadn't noticed the different spelling (no third "i"), in your post.

That is something that I've wondered about at times. Although, I'm used to pronouncing the third "i", I don't know if it should be there. So, just now, I went to the RHS site and searched for Paphiopedilum rothschildianum x Paphiopedilum wilhelminiae. It found 1 hit; Paph. William Ambler. So, FWIW, the RHS thinks it's spelled with a third "i".

Thanks for the reply.

John,

Yeah, and the species pops up at the RHS site with three i's too, BUT the Kew Monocot list web site returns the species with only two i's. I guess we're all right?

-Ernie

John,

Yeah, and the species pops up at the RHS site with three i's too, BUT the Kew Monocot list web site returns the species with only two i's. I guess we're all right?

-Ernie

I don't think that's possible...is it? Shouldn't there be one way and only one way to spell it? Doesn't the taxonomist who described the species decide what is the correct spelling? I wonder where this information could be found, once and for all? Hmmmm....?

Latest posts

Back