Paph wilhelminiae 3 flowers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wendy

Just me!
Reaction score
Here is Paph wilhelminiae (Tabitha x Wiz) with three flowers open. I really, really like these flowers. The next show and judging isn't for another 10 days and I am afraid that this won't last that long. *sigh* maybe next time...it does have another growth in sheath.

Attachments

• 2009_0203wilheminiae0017.JPG
    2009_0203wilheminiae0017.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 2009_0203wilheminiae0018.JPG
    2009_0203wilheminiae0018.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 85
Very nice, Wendy!

The flower on mine lasted about 5-6 weeks (possibly thanks to the cold weather and rubbish light) so fingers crossed yours will make it still.

:clap: Good job Wendy!
Turn down the heat! Temps in my house are 60-63, blooms are lasting a long time!

Gorgeous! Is this species easy to grow for you? I've been thinking of getting one.

Gorgeous! Is this species easy to grow for you? I've been thinking of getting one.

This species is quite easy to grow in intermediate - warm conditions with high light but not as much as Cattleyas. They should not be overpotted as they don't produce alot of roots. You should only put it in a pot that has enough room for two growth cycle. Drainage for this species is important and if you are not careful you can rot the roots. I had it growing in a mixture of sphagnum moss, bark, perlite, and charcoal. I also use lava rock to give it weight and drainage at the bottom of the pot.

One thing is this species doesn't like to be divided! Keep an eye out for scales!

Wendy's plant is probably almost 20 years old!

Paphman910

Wow, I didn't realize it was that old. Thanks for the info Paphman910. I've had it about 2 1/2 years if I remember correctly. I grow it as suggested in intermediate/warm temps with fairly high light. It is potted in coconut chunks and perlite so it has good drainage. I find it pretty easy to grow.

One thing is this species doesn't like to be divided!

Ahhhhh! Bite your tongue, Paphman910!:poke: I tried to get Wendy to make a division of this plant for me way back when she got it 2 1/2 years ago; but, she wouldn't....and reluctantly, I had to agree. It clearly needed time to be coddled a bit....to allow it to grow roots and regain some strength and vigour. As you say, this species can be tricky.....for some people at least.

However, if anyone can make a strap leafed Paph come back better than ever, it's Wendy. I saw her plants about a week ago and they (mostly strap leafed Paphs), including this wilhelminiae, were a feast for the eyes....even the ones not in bloom!:drool: Her plants are gorgeous! I'm kinda hoping that a bit of this wilhelminiae will "drop" off the next time Wendy repots it.:D.....but, I'm patient.

Ahhhhh! Bite your tongue, Paphman910!:poke: I tried to get Wendy to make a division of this plant for me way back when she got it 2 1/2 years ago; but, she wouldn't....and reluctantly, I had to agree. It clearly needed time to be coddled a bit....to allow it to grow roots and regain some strength and vigour. As you say, this species can be tricky.....for some people at least.

However, if anyone can make a strap leafed Paph come back better than ever, it's Wendy. I saw her plants about a week ago and they (mostly strap leafed Paphs), including this wilhelminiae, were a feast for the eyes....even the ones not in bloom!:drool: Her plants are gorgeous! I'm kinda hoping that a bit of this wilhelminiae will "drop" off the next time Wendy repots it.:D.....but, I'm patient.

John I know you when I ordered a Paph rothschildianum from Clargreen Gardens many moons ago!

The Paph wilhelminiae almost died when I got it with barely any roots. It declined in size 12 inch leafspan to about 3 inch leafspan. Over the next several years ( 12 years) it grew to about 16 inch leafspan and flowered with 3 buds on a flower spike. It was a very dark flower like the one Wendy posted. I really liked the hooded dorsal with the black dorsal stripes. After it flowered it make many new growths and I knew it was going to be a healthy plant. Wendy was asking if I had any specimem plants for sale and I said yes and she got Paph wilhelminae from me.

Paphman910

John I know you when I ordered a Paph rothschildianum from Clargreen Gardens many moons ago! Yes, I remember you mentioning that back in 2006. Too bad your friend killed the plant. The breeding was nice.

The Paph wilhelminiae almost died when I got it with barely any roots. Bummer. Do you remember where you got it. Did it have named or awarded parents?It declined in size 12 inch leafspan to about 3 inch leafspan. Over the next several years ( 12 years) it grew to about 16 inch leafspan and flowered with 3 buds on a flower spike. It was a very dark flower like the one Wendy posted. I really liked the hooded dorsal with the black dorsal stripes. After it flowered it make many new growths and I knew it was going to be a healthy plant. After all that work and time....and finally seeing that it was a good one, I'm surprized that you could bring yourself to sell it. I don't know that I'd be able to do that, after putting in all that effort. Of course, I'm glad that you did sell it to Wendy a couple years ago. It's grown well for her and maybe one day I'll be able to talk her out of a piece!:wink:Wendy was asking if I had any specimem plants for sale and I said yes and she got Paph wilhelminae from me. I remember when she got it. It was multigrowth; but, as you say, not many roots. The leaves were a bit soft too. I guess it didn't like being mailed. Perhaps it took longer in the mail than it should have, or, maybe it was a bit too warm in transit. It perked up pretty quickly for Wendy though, because basically, it was just a bit desicated, not diseased of course. It's actually turned into quite a vigorous, robust plant. I wish you had a bunch more of these. :( Oh well, maybe one day I'll get one.

Paphman910

Edit: Duh! I just realized that Wendy already had posted the clonal names of the parents of this plant; so, I didn't need to ask that. 'Must pay more attention!

Last edited:
Ooo. These are Wendy-licious! The best ones posted yet this winter IMO. I still say it's wilhelminae though. :) Very nice.

-Ernie

Ooo. These are Wendy-licious! The best ones posted yet this winter IMO. I still say it's wilhelminae though. :) Very nice.

-Ernie

"Wendy-licious!" I love that! Thanks for my new favourite word! Hee, hee, hee!:evil:

"I still say it's wilhelminae though." I don't think the identity was ever in question. 'Don't understand what you're getting at, Ernie. Did I miss something on another thread? I've seen this plant in person and there's absolutely no question in my mind that it is wilhelminiae. :confused:

Latest posts

Back