Paph. villosum 'Vixen' HCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue

evil genius
Reaction score
Still getting caught up on posting pictures that I took a while back. This one was in bloom in January.

This is the fourth blooming of this plant, and this is still my first and only flower quality award. I had it awarded on its second blooming, at 78 points, which I thought was low, based on the very good color, symmetry, and measurements above many in AM and FCC ranges. Unfortunately, I've moved several more hours away from a judging center, so it's likely to stay an HCC for the foreseeable future. This blooming is less symmetrical than in previous years, so this wouldn't have been the right year anyhow.

Also, next time I take photos, I should try to remember to clean the dirt off the flower first.

Last edited:
I tracked down the award info:

Paphiopedilum villosum `Vixen', H.C.C. (78 pts.)

One flower on one inflorescence; dorsal sepal cream-color heavily overlaid lemon yellow, barred and tessellated mahogany centrally; synsepal pale citron, striped darker; petals undulate, citron, overlaid and tessellated mahogany, midvein dark mahogany; pouch citron, overlaid and tessellated mahogany; substance firm; texture shiny.

Nat. spr. 11.5 cm, 14.1 cm vert; ds 4.9 cm w, 6.9 cm l; pet 3.3 cm w, 7.2 cm
l; syn 2.8 cm w, 7.1 cm l; pouch 3.0 cm w, 5.7 cm l.

This clone is from Marriott, and the parentage is (Candor XL x Marriott Colorburst). You can see the parents and some siblings here:
http://www.marriottorchids.com/PhotoV2-W1.html

Sorry to report, though, that it doesn't look like they've got available seedlings or divisions from this cross.

Looks like yours got a very nice mix of the XL size and the colorburst color. I have one also and hope mine has nice colors too when it finally blooms. Thanks for sharing.

Nice one Sue. The dorsal is a knockout. Congrats on the award. I wouldn't expect many villosums would get awarded. I can't remember ever seeing one.

David

This cross from Hadley is consistently excellent! I'm guessing he has them, but is keeping a lot to select the very best for exhibition and breeding? When I visited him a couple years ago, there were hundreds of these on the bench to choose from.

-Ernie

Latest posts

Back