Paph. villosum (boxallii)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jblanford

Haven't seen any of these so it's hard to compare, but I think it looks OK. Enjoy...... Jim.

IMG_1021.jpg

Not Boxallii Jim, its a very nice villosum though. Boxalli has a heavily spotted dorsal blending into a block of color as the flower matures. The flower is also about half the size of a standard villosum.
Bad pic but the only one I have.
villosumvBoxallii.jpg

:confused: How does one determine the size of a flower by looking at a pic?

:clap: I'd keep/take it! :clap:

If itl's like Ed's gratrixianum (striped in 07 and spotted in 08). This could be var.boxali.

Villosums are like Christmas presents, it's always a surprise when they open up!

Bloom it some more JB!!!

Not Boxallii Jim, its a very nice villosum though. Boxalli has a heavily spotted dorsal blending into a block of color as the flower matures. The flower is also about half the size of a standard villosum.
Bad pic but the only one I have.
villosumvBoxallii.jpg

WOW! ITS EVEN GOT SPOTS OUT IN MID AIR! :poke:

Jim, Is it the plant's first bloom? As I learned from that gratrixianum the first bloom is not definative.

Defining where villosum ends and boxallii starts is a bit difficult. I suggest that anyone interested in this or insigne get Helen Adams excellent articles from back around 1952 in the AOSB. They are essential for anyone interested in breeding.

No.. Ed, this plant has bloomed before, that's about all I can tell you......... Jim.

I have a couple pieces of this exact plant too (pretty sure, they were floating around the club, right Jim?), and I sort of stick it with boxallii, but I don't consider myself up to speed 100% on the villosum complex. Shoot, if it was easy, they wouldn't call it a complex. :) It is very different from the villosums I'e gotten from Marriott, but those are line bred a little.

-Ernie

Your right Ernie and I also have a 3 growth plant from Marriott Orchids, should bloom soon I hope, than I can compare them....... Jim.

Back