Paph. (Victoria Crossing x Woodland Glade)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

A new complex green hybrid opened up. It is a cross between Paph. Victoria Crossing 'Vicki' and Woodland Glade 'Spots'. Victoria Crossing is a cross Jerry made years ago, and it probably has the largest flowers of any green complex that I have seen. I crossed it with Paph. Woodland Glade, hoping to improve the form (At the time it was one of the best ones we had, now I probably would not use that hybrid as we have ones that are way better). I posted a picture of the parents as well, as it is always interesting to see what you get when you cross 2 plants together. You can definitely tell that Victoria Crossing is more dominant in it's progeny. I am a little disappointed that the dorsal did not turn out too flat, but it is a first bloom seedling, and that may straighten out next time it blooms. I definitely did turn out to be a large flower.

Paph. (Victoria Crossing x Woodland Glade):
PaphVictoriaCrossingxWoodlandGlade1.jpg

Paph. Victoria Crossing 'Vicki':
PaphVictoriaCrossingVicki1102006.jpg

Paph. Woodland Glade 'Spots':
PaphWoodlandGladeSpots-edited-22320.jpg

Robert

I think it's gorgeous! Not into the complex paphs, but I do like this one! I love the green striations on the dorsal and all of the spotting!

I don't know Robert. I would be hard pressed to say one parent was more dominant then the other, solely based on these three pics. Still, great looking flowers, Jerry did good

Robert, as a complex hybrid Paph grower I tend to judge flowers harshly and this looks nice but I would hope for something better in further flowerings. Its not one I would over excited about but definitely another flowering or 2 would be worth while.

"Victoria Crossing is a cross Jerry made years ago, and it probably has the largest flowers of any green complex that I have seen."

Robert,

Just to play the devil's advocate, I think a trip to the Orchid Zone in January might provide you with a new perspective on green complexes. Please don't take this personally, but I think either your statement is a gross exaggeration and easily (and objectively) discounted, or you really need to get out more.

No offense!

Rick

Robert, as a complex hybrid Paph grower I tend to judge flowers harshly and this looks nice but I would hope for something better in further flowerings. Its not one I would over excited about but definitely another flowering or 2 would be worth while.

I agree, I was a little disappointed in the shape as well, but what this cross has going for is the size. I think 13 cm natural spread for a first bloom seedling is pretty good. The one parent (Victoria Crossing) has flowers that are over 14 - 15 cm across, but I think the shape is not perfect. Often the petals are a little cupped and the dorsal is not always flat, so that is why I made the cross at the time, I was trying to keep the size, but improve the form. Like I said earlier now I probably would not use the Woodland Glade as the other parent, but at the time, I was still new in the complex breeding world and did not know what else was out there. Since then we have gotten a bunch of other good clones that are far superior over the Woodland Glade plant. I think it is OK to post things on here once in a while that are not "Superior", I just wanted to show you guys an outcome of a cross.

Here is one of my complex crosses that I did think turned out pretty nice (keep in mind that it is also a first bloom seedling):

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5999&highlight=Thunderbolt

I do appreciate you critique, Like I said I still feel like I am a novice when it comes to complex Paph breeding, so if you can point out things that are wrong with my crosses it is good to hear them.

Robert

"Victoria Crossing is a cross Jerry made years ago, and it probably has the largest flowers of any green complex that I have seen."

Robert,

Just to play the devil's advocate, I think a trip to the Orchid Zone in January might provide you with a new perspective on green complexes. Please don't take this personally, but I think either your statement is a gross exaggeration and easily (and objectively) discounted, or you really need to get out more.

No offense!

Rick

No offense taken. Like I said it was one of the Largest that I personally had ever seen. I am not saying there are complex Paph's out there that are not larger than Victoria Crossing. I agree, I have not been to the Orchid Zone, and if I would go there I would get a whole new perspective and wonder why I made the crosses that I did. If I have a chance this January I may go out there myself.

We have gotten some plants from the Orchid Zone in the last few years, so I am starting to get a feel for what else is out there, and I have started to hybridze with those lately. Keep in mind I made my first complex crosses (including this one) 5 to 6 years ago, and at the time these were the best plants I had to work with.

PS. Have you seen our Paph. Victoria Crossing 'Vicki' ?, so how do you know it is not the largest green Complex Paph out there??

Robert

..I have not been to the Orchid Zone, and if I would go there I would get a whole new perspective and wonder why I made the crosses that I did. If I have a chance this January I may go out there myself.

Robert

Just remember to leave room for 1 NYEric in your suitcase on the way there!

Here is one of my complex crosses that I did think turned out pretty nice (keep in mind that it is also a first bloom seedling):

Robert, this is the thing with seedling Paphs, the P Thunderbolt is extremely good and has a great future & those plants that flower this good first up usually continue getting better. Those like the one here sometimes require a much more mature plant to show their best. The size factor is a good thing but what it needs ( IMO ) is to crossed back to something with exceptional filled in shape. It doesn't have to be a huge flower. A good green would be excellent and a there are some great ones about like the P. Elfstone x Stone Lovely that was shown on the Orchids Ltd website as a 1st flowering seedling would work very well IMO. There are some very nice honey colored plants over there that could do a good job also.
The one good thing I believe is that you are using similar colored clones, not mismatching colors.

Latest posts

Back