Paph venustum flask - roots are tangled

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paphman910

Reaction score
Need some advice on deflasking a Paph venustum from Orchid Inn. Roots are so tangled together. What should I do?

Paphman910

I usually wash as much agar off as possible without disturbing the roots and put the whole bundle into the pot. I was told it's better not to separate the plants when deflasking. :)

I usually wash as much agar off as possible without disturbing the roots and put the whole bundle into the pot. I was told it's better not to separate the plants when deflasking. :)

Thanks for the advice! It is so overgrown with roots and I tried to separate two seedlings and it snapped off! I decided to put the whole seedling with tangled roots in a single 4 inch pot! Hopefully in the near future I can tease the seedlings apart.

Paphman910

I've learned to not try to untangle them from flask -- they are too tender. Sometimes I even leave the agar, or most of it, on, when I place them in compot. They are easier to take apart when they grow new roots.

I've learned to not try to untangle them from flask -- they are too tender. Sometimes I even leave the agar, or most of it, on, when I place them in compot. They are easier to take apart when they grow new roots.

agreed, this is by far the best way to grow them especially with non multiflorals

Pictures of Flask to Compot

Here are some pictures:

venustum01-apr2011.jpg

venustum02-apr2011.jpg

venustum03-apr2011.jpg

Paphman910

Good luck! These are a good species to start with. One of my first paph flasks and now they are nearly flowering size. Let us know how you go.

Back