Paph tranalianum?????

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

albert

Hi there,
first time flowering- is labeled P. tranalianum. Now I see the flower and have my doubts about the species. Could anybody identify/justify this Paph.
Thanks a lot.
Albert

Attachments

• tran orchid 007.JPG
    tran orchid 007.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 39
I think it's odd that even out of flower the plant was mistaken as a tranlineanum

They are dwarfs in comparison to hirsutisimum, with a different growth habit too.

Was this plant a Chinese import?

Tranlinianum is found in Northern Vietnam, but I don't think its been found in China. Hirsutisimum varieties are found all over Vietnam and Southern China. Tranlinianum is very rare in comparison, and it is still illegal here in the US (via CITES restrictions). Allot of the restricted Vietnamese paphs are moving through China, and I suspect there are lots of chances for "quality control" errors, or maybe outright fraud.

For the record, as a friendly correction, it's spelled Paph. tranlienianum. But the flower shown here is certainly in the Paph. hirsutissimum swarm.

-Ernie

I think it's odd that even out of flower the plant was mistaken as a tranlineanum

They are dwarfs in comparison to hirsutisimum, with a different growth habit too.

Was this plant a Chinese import?

I agree w/ Rick & everybody else.
It is not a total loss, since your flower is beautiful, and it blooms.
-Is the seller from Mainland China or is he from Taiwan?
-did you grow them from flasks? or as seedlings? or as adult plants?
If from flask, or seedlings, there may be some mishap mixed up in flasking, labeling etc..
But if as adult plants, then it is a total lie from the seller, or a very ignorant seller.
-did you buy them in bloom? and the seller tell you it is tranlienianum flower?
-as Rick said, it is hard to confuse between the two species even without flower (do check the descriptions & photos in the book Slipper orchids of Vietnam by averyanov).

Last edited:
For the record, as a friendly correction, it's spelled Paph. tranlienianum. But the flower shown here is certainly in the Paph. hirsutissimum swarm.

-Ernie

Thanks for the spelling help Ernie. I knew I was wrong, but to lazy to get out the book.

Latest posts

Back