Paph tortipetalum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
I got this plant from Glenn Decker (after a tip from Rick H. if I remember correctly). I also noted that Ayreon posted a pic of his from a European source that sparked a big taxonomy debate. Without knowing where the parent stock originated from I'm not sure if you can tell this apart from bullenium. From that earlier debate it came out that the concept of tortipetalum is found on the Malay peninsula which would put it on a contiguous land mass with appletonium (which is an extremely variable species in Vietnam) rather than bullenium. However, it is apparent that the appletonium/bullenium flower type seems to be ecologically and geographically widespread and successful.

From a cultivation standpoint this flower has some differences from appletonium I've had which I think make it distinct enough to have both in a collection.
1) This species is flowering in the summer while many appletonium seem to bloom late fall and winter.
2) The flower is much glossier with richer colors than most appletonium I've seen

Enjoy the pics

I thought I was the only paph killer on this site!

Nice pouch on this one. I like the undulations (there's a word for you).

Very nice flowering Rick. It looks very much like the described Paph bullenianum rather then any appletonianum that I've seen. But as you have said, appletonianum complex is widespread.

Very nice flowering Rick. It looks very much like the described Paph bullenianum rather then any appletonianum that I've seen. But as you have said, appletonianum complex is widespread.

Thanks Rick. I think this flower is different from the bulk of appletonium too. Whether or not the distinctions are different enough to warrant species status I'd have to shrug my shoulders.

I can see more differences between Anglo (even splitting for say Italian vs Norwegian), Hispanic, Asian, Native America (even at the tribal level say Osage vs Navajo), and all species Homo sapiens, than I can see for the differences between this flower vs bullenianum and appletonianum.

So all I can do is leave it labeled as is, and enjoy the debate. It would be interesting to see some good DNA work or pollination studies done in this complex to see how much real differentiation there is.

Your plant does look very similar, especially the more recent pictures, to my hainanense (syn. appletonianum v. hainanense). My hainanense might have a smaller pouch and slightly more colour, however the veining on tortipetalum's pouch is just wonderful. I'll keep an eye out for this one too, many thanks for sharing it.

HPIM3793.jpg

Unfortunately, I don’t have a decent picture of the foliage but can get one if you need.

I checked the timestamp on the photo and it says Jan. 30, 2009, so it's typical of appletonianum in that regard.

It looks like you secretly sent a fruit of this plant to Troy Myers! I just put myself to the waiting list. I hope there will be enough germination.

Latest posts

Back