Paph Symposium 2008 / Frank Smith

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cwt

A successful event, it is now finished. I will post more later, but for now, this.

Frank Smith is super. Such a knowledgeable, easygoing gentleman, and now part of our family of paph lovers here in South Africa. I think personally, a lot will remember him for his big heart.

As keynote speaker, he was magnifficent, and we all learned such a lot.

Since Friday evening he's been here, and fun all the way. Today he is shopping with my wife, as the three of us leave for Kruger National Park early tomorrow. Yes, his first trip to Africa, and we all thank him for being here and sharing a knowledge that far surpass that of anybody I know, and never shy to share a secret.

If you ever have the chance, go to one of his lectures, it will change your life.

A sad time for him, as his dear friend Carlos Figetti's wife died early yesterday and he is not there for support.

Later in the week, when we are back, I will post more about our event.
Charles

I am very sorry about the death of Carlos Figetti's wife.

But I am very eager to get more news about the event!!

Jean

Me and my wife attended the Paph Symposium in Pretoria over the weekend. It was so nice to see all our Paph friends together again, some of whom we have not seen in 15 years like Ernst Gunzenhauser from Switzerland. We thorouhgly enjoyed it. The speakers were great. I will leave it for Charles to comment on the lectures presented.

I would also like to take the opportunity to thank Charles and his team for organising such a wonderful event. This was done in a very short space of time and if this was done so well I think all of us can start saving for 2014 and have another stunning event to look forward to.

Thanks Charles, well done :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

After a week in Africa Frank is on his way back to the states, and again we can only say thank you. He became a good friend, and his trip a classroom for us, He shared with us some valueable knowledge, on paphs, people and again yesterday, on World Shows and their planning. Yesterday he visited the site of the WOC21,and his input : phenomenal. Such a big hearted person, and so full of willingness to help us succeed in the next few years.

Thanks again Frank, we all love you and are looking forward to your next visit.

He is an very private person, and we respect that, but we learned that he also cares very much for his family, friends and personel, and that it was terrible for him not to be there for Jim Krull, when Jim's father passed away during the week.

The Paph Symposium itself was only a one day event on Saturday. However , since most of the Rsa Judges was to attend, several other meetings was also organised and took place the Friday, and on the Sunday the SA Orchid council had their meeting as well. There was also a get together for the judges, counsil and the local committee the meet with the overseas visitors on Friday evening, and the 40 th Birthday Bash of the SAOC on Saturday evening. Truly an orchid weekend!!!!

The Symposium was attended by a 100 people, from all over South Africa.

Keynote speaker was Mr Frank Smith from Krull Smith orchids, a total newby to the local orchid community. He presented a superb lecture, Paph culture for Shows, and personally I think he changed the future of Paph growing in this country with his tips and Ideas that he shared with us.

For most attendees it was the first time they were exposed to Frank and his orchids, and I think in future he will be invited back on a regular basis.

Ernst Gunzenhauser from Switserland was next on a wonderful tour of Burma and Paph Bellatulum. He is an old friend of the South African orchid community, and as always he entertained us with wonderful slides about the Burma and the localities where Belatulum is growing.

Paul Phillips from Ratcliffes talked about paphs in todays enviroment, and talked a lot about the difficulties that breeders have in todays market which is dominated by some eastern countries.

Three International speakers!!!

Local speakers was:

Michael Tibbs on modern maudiae type breeding,

Joan Elvin talked on Paph Awards in the RSA

Tinus Oberholzer on Eastern Delights, a well researched lecture on the species discovered in the last ten years and their hybrids.

The last speaker was Angela Van Rooyen, the Grande lady of South African Orchids. "What we Take home" was a summary of the days lectures as seen through her eyes. So far she has talked on every symposium during the last 34 years, and she was one of the three people that started the Paph Symposium tradition in this country.

( For historical background: Some of the overseas guests over the years that lectured included people like Gerd Rolke, Norito Hasegawa, Harold Koopewitz( born and studied in South Africa) Terry Root, Joyce Stewart, Walter Bertsch,Karin Muir,Tom Kalina,Barry Frazer and Eric Christenson.

Regards
Charles

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back