Paph. superbiens var. curtisii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

physiognomy

Reaction score
I bought this plant from Joan Bateman late last year & was happy when it came into bud. Cool flower plus the attractive foliage makes this a great species in my book.

The tag reads P. curtisii 'Phillip' x P. curtisii 'Twilight Glow'

Paph_superbiens%2520%25281%2529.jpg

very nice, a favorite species of mine, would you mind showing the leaves. They can have some of the nicest foliage among the paphs

Here's a quick snap comparing the foliage of my Paph. superbiens... The plant in back is 'Leonhardt' x 'Maroon Marvel', front is 'Phillip' x 'Twilight Glow', and right is 'Nightfire' x 'Lula'.

Paph_superbiens_leaves.jpg

Here is a photo of a superbiens (wild one) too at the bottom, same leaves, really funny that most superbiens look the same...

rothbumsbomber.jpg

However, a true superbiens has quite distinctive leaves apart from the flower, but I have seen hundreds of 'tonsum var. curtisiifolium', with superbiens leaves, and a really crappy tonsum flower in Sumatra...

Last edited:
This looks like superbiens to me while the one below looks like v. curtsii.
:confused: The v. curtsii i slighter and has a bluish tint.

rothbumsbomber.jpg

However, a true superbiens has quite distinctive leaves apart from the flower, but I have seen hundreds of 'tonsum var. curtisiifolium', with superbiens leaves, and a really crappy tonsum flower in Sumatra...

This looks like superbiens to me while the one below looks like v. curtsii.
:confused: The v. curtsii i slighter and has a bluish tint.
I'm really confused to distinguish these species but one thing seems to be certain - you can't tell them by the colouration of the foliage or generally by the foliage.

Latest posts

Back