Paph. stonei

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Nice stonei! Do you know the parentage?

Paphman910
I wish I did. It's actually a division of Bill Porter's plant. I don't remember seeing parents on his tag, but I'll double-check next time I'm at his greenhouse.

hi dot,

that's a very nice Paph. stonei ,this is the old classic type of stonei
nowadays extinct in the wild.
the plants of Paph. stonei that are being imported from Asia nowadays
are just a faint shadow from the plant that you show here today.
The new Paph. stonei lack the fine colors in the flower overall
and have only 1 or 2 flowers per stem the old one can produce up to 6 flowers
so if you have a chance self it , because it's worthy to be propagated.
happy orchid growing from Northern Thailand
cliokchi:):clap:
Bill told me he was going to self his. I'll tell him what you said to encourage him to do that. Thanks!

Hey Ha! what a clone you have. Very judge worthy IMO.
I put it in the Michiana OS show this coming weekend. We'll see...

That is just stupendous Dot. What I'd give for a plant like that. Lovely photo as always. How many growths? Is it slow growing?

David
It's a division. The last (and first) time it bloomed for me was March of 09. So it took about a year an a half for a new growth to mature.

Thanks, everyone. I'm pleased you validate my love of this flower.

Very Nice! :) I have some hybrids of stonei growing well, so with your picture for more encouragement, I think it's time I had the species too!

This is truly amazing! It is it a large plant? Even though I haven't yet indulged myself in the slipper addiction, I can see how a flower like this could send me right over the edge!

Dot,
since you didn't mention the stonei, I'm assuming it wasn't awarded. Did it get pulled?
I don't think it got pulled, but it did get a blue ribbon.

That's awesome Dot:clap::clap:

What's it doing blooming in Fall?

Hmmm -- interesting. The mother plant (Bill Porter's) finished blooming a couple weeks ago, and has thrown another spike. Must be in it's genes.

I don't have OW either Dot but I seriously doubt there are large #s of stonei's with more then three

Yes, I agree that must be very close to award quality. The dorsal is perfect.

I have seen stoneis from Taiwan with as many as 5 flowers. I've always wondered how important flower count is in the judging process. Will plants get disqualified immediately if they don't have 4 or more flowers on a spike, irrespective of how large and well proportioned the flowers are? That would rule out a lot of my plants as I often only get 3 flowers.

David

Back