Stoneii Legacy: In Memorium Gary Schreibers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems near impossible to get a stonei awarded, only 26 AOS quality awards and only three in the last decade. What is it about them that judges dislike so strongly?

They're not flat, most people can't grow them to full potential & judges know it, and some of the awarded ones are REALLY good. This one doesn't quite look like pure stonei to me. There's something platyphyllum-esque going on there.
I think that may be in the subconscious thinking of judges that held it back??

a well flowered 'old style' stonei. Not up to current standards going by the many photos from Shen Lui etc

This is definitely NOT a stonei. It is a platyphyllum at best. or a kolo x stonei hybrid... flower color, shape, etc... The leaves are kolopakingish style as well, nothing to do with stonei.

Oddly enough the 'real stonei' are now very rare in culture, except in Taiwan where they still have some. Shen-Liu and similar stonei are not a current standard, they are the real stoneis... and they are in fact the old style stonei that has been around for 40 years, though very selected.

Rick Lockwood stonei is a real stonei as well...

This is definitely NOT a stonei. It is a platyphyllum at best. or a kolo x stonei hybrid... flower color, shape, etc... The leaves are kolopakingish style as well, nothing to do with stonei.

Oddly enough the 'real stonei' are now very rare in culture, except in Taiwan where they still have some. Shen-Liu and similar stonei are not a current standard, they are the real stoneis... and they are in fact the old style stonei that has been around for 40 years, though very selected.

Rick Lockwood stonei is a real stonei as well...
Yes I think that’s why there was a bit of controversy/confusion with this plant. The judges expected a real stonei but was confront with one that didn’t have the features of the expected one. It was therefore passed.

Latest posts

Back