I can finally grow my stonei in big clumps

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camellkc

Reaction score
I remember there is a slippertalk member, paphioman (if I remember correctly) showed his very huge stonei flowered every year. I was attracted by his plant and tried to touch on this species few years ago. After trial and error, I can finally grow my stonei in a big clump. Happy to see their shiny wide leaves and the greenish coloration is also very attractive.

At the final photo, I put my foot here for size comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_7540.jpeg
    IMG_7540.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7541.jpeg
    IMG_7541.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7542.jpeg
    IMG_7542.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
The size of your plants is more than impressive. They seem to be very happy. 👍
Yes, I am happy with the condition of them.

I can also grow the laevigatum “in charm” division from 2-3 growths to a huge clump in 5 years. Here is the photo. The leaves are wide and hard.

Attachments

• IMG_7543.jpeg
    IMG_7543.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7544.jpeg
    IMG_7544.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
nice looking 'clumps' for sure...

can you isolate the cultural aspects that get you to 'hard' leaves?

and ;-)

any ideas if you can place the apparent cause of the phytotoxicity seen in the leaf 'bleaching' on some of the plants (i have the same thing in some of my brachy hybrids, that i think i know the cause of)

and ;-)

any ideas if you can place the apparent cause of the phytotoxicity seen in the leaf 'bleaching' on some of the plants (i have the same thing in some of my brachy hybrids, that i think i know the cause of)
I have some Cattleya's showing the same type of leaf bleaching?? What do you think the cause to be??

and ;-)

If you place the plant near the maximum light intensity that it can accept, the leaves will become hard and the growth will be in “V-shape”.

However, placing your plants under high light intensity will cause sun burn of the leave tip easily. In addition, high light intensity also contributes higher temperature environment. Too much fertilizer applied under such environment will also cause “burning” of the leaves’ tip as a protective mechanism of the plant.

Those “burning” of leaves tip for my plants were mainly caused last year because I used too much fertilizers and gave too much light at that moment. This year, I reduce the light intensity a bit and stop fertilizing the plants during the summer hot months. You can see the newest leaves are very pretty and shiny.

Last edited:
@Camellkc i was talking about what i circled below when i was referring to the 'apparent phyto toxicity' and not at all being judgmental just checking to see if you had any thoughts... i included a photo of similar symptoms on one of my Brachy hybrids. Which i believe is a reaction to too much or too frequent exposure to one of my spraying regimes.

1696619330964.png 1696619715437.png

If you place the plant near the maximum light intensity that it can accept, the leaves will become hard and the growth will be in “V-shape”.
thanx for that i do have some options to get them higher light...

things are growing well just always looking for tips to get them 'harder' (no snickering ;-)

@Camellkc i was talking about what i circled below when i was referring to the 'apparent phyto toxicity' and not at all being judgmental just checking to see if you had any thoughts... i included a photo of similar symptoms on one of my Brachy hybrids. Which i believe is a reaction to too much or too frequent exposure to one of my spraying regimes.

View attachment 43154 View attachment 43155
Sorry for misunderstand your question.

I don’t know why does it happens but I realize the division from other growers in Taiwan also has the same problem on the leaves. I suppose it to be normal for that clone.

When you say bright light, do you have any PPFD readings or estimates? I recall reading somewhere that stonei does well I'm shade too. Seems adaptable as long as you do the other things right.

Very nicely grown plants!

When you say bright light, do you have any PPFD readings or estimates? I recall reading somewhere that stonei does well I'm shade too. Seems adaptable as long as you do the other things right.

Very nicely grown plants!
I had used a light meter for measurement that the brightness where I place the philippinese and it’s variation is around 10000 lux at 11:00 am morning under a generally sunny day.

I remember there is a slippertalk member, paphioman (if I remember correctly) showed his very huge stonei flowered every year. I was attracted by his plant and tried to touch on this species few years ago. After trial and error, I can finally grow my stonei in a big clump. Happy to see their shiny wide leaves and the greenish coloration is also very attractive.

At the final photo, I put my foot here for size comparison.

Amazing and inspiring! Can you share what did to do this? Particular media? Temps? Watering? Thanks.

Latest posts

Back