Paph. stonei

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a stonei about 10 years ago, it bloom on a single growth and I kinda kill it because I don't know that much about growing one that time. Apparently, stonei likes warmth, good light, frequent feeding and absolutely hate repotting, so if you can keep that check it will be no problem for you.

@Shiva,
I'd technically agree with you. But for me, these plants are way to yang, to still count as "Zen". Where you might grow 4 stonei, I grow 150 Brachypetalum or more... Hence, I don't keep any stonei yet!

;0))

@Shiva,
I'd technically agree with you. But for me, these plants are way to yang, to still count as "Zen". Where you might grow 4 stonei, I grow 150 Brachypetalum or more... Hence, I don't keep any stonei yet!

;0))

John, I was talking about the flower. This said my plant is not that big, certainly much smaller than most phrags and many paphs I have. :)

I had a stonei about 10 years ago, it bloom on a single growth and I kinda kill it because I don't know that much about growing one that time. Apparently, stonei likes warmth, good light, frequent feeding and absolutely hate repotting, so if you can keep that check it will be no problem for you.

Pretty much everything you've said agrees with my culture, and mine grow very well.

I don't know if they have a problem being repotted, but mine certainly appreciate being underpotted. (Most of my multi's seem to to better underpotting for me). If you use a fairly non water retentive and inorganic substance (like aliflor) as the bulk of the potting mix ingredients, then you might have better luck in bigger pots with a heavy watering schedule. But I use a CHC based mix with some oyster shell. I end up reppotting every 2-3 years. My fastest growing stonei (5 growths total, 2 BS) is in a 2" pot.

How big is your plant? What is the leafspan?

Paphman910

I guess size is relative so I thought a picture would be better. I put a CD case to compare. And since I grow in a g/h, I can put the plant on an inverted pot and grow smaller plants underneath, which of course cannot be done if you grow under lights.

Stoneiplant.jpg

Oh Boy!!! Thank you Shiva!
That does put things into perspective!!!
Your stonei is about half the size or less, than the flowering stonei’s I’m used to. I dare to say, yours is a line-bread plant for “downsizement-efforts”. Not even the spike is anywhere near as tall as they would normally be. Obviously there has some proper breeding gone into your plant. I’m glad you’ve shown this picture, because now, and with that knowledge out in the open, I’d be on the look-out for this new generation of Paph. stonei.

Thanks Shiva. I grow my stonei under lights and not near blooming size yet. It will need to put out a few growths before it flowers. Your plant looks vigorous! How long have you had it?

Paphman910

Thanks Shiva. I grow my stonei under lights and not near blooming size yet. It will need to put out a few growths before it flowers. Your plant looks vigorous! How long have you had it?

Paphman910

About 4 years. I'm not sure but I think I bought it from Sam Tsui. :)

Paphman910

Under lights you may not have to wait as long. I have bloomed a couple with a single growth and 1 new start. i have one single growth-plant blooming with three flowers now. The only problem is that it will be many years for the plant to build up to a second blooming.

Latest posts

Back