Paph St. Swithin 'Penn Valley' AM -07 & 08

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
This plant, like many of my others, has really been blooming their best since I've changed some things. Last year it had 5 flowers on one spike.
PStSPennValley2.jpg

And this year 08
PSS2_08.jpg

Close up
PSS3_08.jpg

Enjoy,
Rick H

Jean,
The main thing was the fertizer and the concentration, Peter's professional, 20-20-20 at 150ppm of N. I've been using Peter's for about 18mos. now and just recently increase to 150ppm from 100ppm after some of our disscusions here on the forum. I've also been thinking about adjusting the imbalance of iron to zinc/manganese that Sanderianum mentioned in one of his threads. At first I thought I was missing out on something with all the chatter about MSU but now, I think I'll stick with what I got.

Jean,
The main thing was the fertizer and the concentration, Peter's professional, 20-20-20 at 150ppm of N. I've been using Peter's for about 18mos. now and just recently increase to 150ppm from 100ppm after some of our disscusions here on the forum. I've also been thinking about adjusting the imbalance of iron to zinc/manganese that Sanderianum mentioned in one of his threads. At first I thought I was missing out on something with all the chatter about MSU but now, I think I'll stick with what I got.

Rick,

What kind of medium do you grow in? TIA

charlie c

Rick,

What kind of medium do you grow in? TIA

charlie c

Sorry for taking so long to respond Charlie. I use a med bark/CHC(80/20%)base mix of 6 parts with #3 charcoal(1 part) and large sponge rock/ perlite(3 parts). I think it's #3 as well but not sure. I soak the bark in water for a week, sometimes more then remove it. Some of the bark will have sunk and I use to throw it out but not anymore. The water will be very dark reddish brown and sometimes even gooey. I have no solid proof but I feel like this long soaking period leaches out resins that can be toxic to the slippers. Now the coconut husk is soaked 3X in water for 24 hours each but it comes already presoaked 3Xs so I don't do anything more then that before using it. I have not seen any ill effects from the CHC and I've been using it for a year. As a fact, for the same period of time I've been using CHC without bark in the same ratios stated above with my Phrags and their kicking butt. Maybe I got lucky with this batch of CHC. I'm fixing to fine out because they're next on my repotting list!

I hope this helps, Rick H

Rick H,

Thanks for the response.

I too have sorta by accident switched from 30-10-10 to the same 20-20-20 formulation for things growing in bark mix. Also with good results. Like you I've started feeding slightly more. My theory, without any scientific ground to stand on, is that bark mixes do need lots of N (ala 30-10-10) but the added P & K of the 20-20-20 are contributing something necessary.

Not sure, but happy for the positive reinforcement. Thanks again.

charlie c

Latest posts

Back