Paph spicerianum var. gigantea

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice Pierre! But, I am not familiar with the the variety "gigantea" neither Braem or Cribb mention this variety; is it a recently described variety or a Horticultural variety (referring to larger than normal flowers)?

Robert

Interesting Pierre, what are the sizes of the flower? Why do you name it gigantea?

Paph spicerianum var gigantea or giganteum is offered more or less very often here in Europe (currently Popow and Akerne have it currently in their catalogue). In theory as the name says, it's supposed to be a quite larger variety of Paph. spicerianum.

There is another thread here in ST, where it was mentioned once that this is most probably not a pure spicerianum, but a hybrid (like Bruno crossed back and crossed back to spicerianum - something similar to the Paph. primulinum story). check here http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14007&highlight=spicerianum+giganteum&page=3

It is a very stunning flower. My P. spicerianum is taking its own sweet time opening its bloom-I could show it your photo and tell it to get a move on. I think it is just being ornery because I want to see it so much.

Very nice Pierre! But, I am not familiar with the the variety "gigantea" neither Braem or Cribb mention this variety; is it a recently described variety or a Horticultural variety (referring to larger than normal flowers)?

Robert

A few years back, I got a spicerianum var. gigantea from Glen Decker. I believe he had just gotten a shipment of new plants from Germany. It had fairly large leaves, but the flower was about average in size. I don't have it anymore. I must have sold it. To my uneducated eye, it didn't seem much different from a standard spicerianum.

"Giganteum" is a very common and usually misleading name attached as a variety, for many paphs. I used to have a fairreanum "Giganteum"...normal sized plant, with a beautiful but small flower, on an unusually long inflorescence. Kind of like a microcephalic malipoense.......

Nice spice!

I've seen a couple of those gigantic spicerianums at shows here in Germany, and they are significantly larger than the normal type. Here's a pic from somewhere else where the two are shown together:

http://forum.orchideenfreunde.eu/thread-367.html

I have no idea where these plants originated, and I also believe the "giganteum" term is a trade name, nothing else.

My own one has large leaves and bloomed normal (size-wise) last year when it had a damaged leaf. This year the leaves are fine but the flower is deformed.

:clap::clap:I like this flower ALOT, I would consider it to be the species. It's hard to judge the size of a flower by a photo, it would certainly be a keeper for me!

This is my spicerianum var. giganteum, which I bought in the spring here in Germany - much bigger than the normaly typ...

I thing thats a Hybride - Leeanum ( spicerianum x insigne)

leeanum.jpg

thanx all for replies :)

the size of the flower is 7cm and of the leaves 21cm.
kanavaru is right, it's from popow :wink:
i have not experience whith spicerianum and i don't no why popow named it gigantea...
i'm beginner with paph :eek:

thanx all for replies :)

the size of the flower is 7cm and of the leaves 21cm.
kanavaru is right, it's from popow :wink:
i have not experience whith spicerianum and i don't no why popow named it gigantea...
i'm beginner with paph :eek:

Pierre, I do not think Popow was the originator of this name. I am almost sure he has bought a large batch of seedling or flask named that way...

Popow has very good plants and many unusual plants too... It's always a pleasure receiving plants fromhim. However, one has to admit that he is not the most accurate with names and labels sometimes mixing up even genus form different plant families, e.g. currently in ebay Paphiopedilum charlesworthii var verjutianum, Aerangis rhodostikta, or Trichocereus rosea.
I contacted him once to find out what Trichocereus rosea actually is, as I was interested in that little plant (he has it very often in ebay, so I assume he has many of them too), and Trichocereus is actually a Cactus. Popow confirmed via emal that it was mistake on the label and that it was actually Trichocentrum (but the plant does not look like Trichocentrum at all, what only shows me he has no clue what that plant actaully is), and still after several months he keeps offering the same plants under the same wrong name...

@Rick: my "giganteum" (foto) here in Germany ( the source is in the Netherlands) ordered plant is a hybrid, I don't say any more..

Latest posts

Back