Phalaenopsis gigantea alba?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just looked up gigantea 'alba' and out of the several dozen awards to date for Phalaenopsis gigantea, only 1, is to the alba form! And it was just a JC, "Judges Commendation" for the alba color form. It only had on inflorescence with 5 flowers. 2 images were in the AOS records for that plant, and Yes, it was not a miniature plant.
That causes me to think that they might be difficult to grow and to flower. The JC does mention "cupped" flowers. Or maybe there are not many plants around. A third possibility is that no one grows it well enough so that it could earn either a flower quality or culture ward.

I just looked up gigantea 'alba' and out of the several dozen awards to date for Phalaenopsis gigantea, only 1, is to the alba form! And it was just a JC, "Judges Commendation" for the alba color form. It only had on inflorescence with 5 flowers. 2 images were in the AOS records for that plant, and Yes, it was not a miniature plant.
That causes me to think that they might be difficult to grow and to flower. The JC does mention "cupped" flowers. Or maybe there are not many plants around. A third possibility is that no one grows it well enough so that it could earn either a flower quality or culture ward.
Thanks

It is in a basket with big wholes and grows in spagnum moss with some Styrofoam peanut in the middle. I was wondering if I should repot it into semi hydro or just bark but worry because they do not like repot. If any one know let me know what the best rought is thanks.

I don’t own one but as far as I know they’re very very finicky. Much more so than other Phals. They are very temperature sensitive, so they don’t like wild swings, and obviously warm growing. They also need an extremely good root system to keep those very large leaves growing. I love the alba form myself! I want one just don’t have the space yet.

Peter Lin is a huge gigantea fan. Maybe he could offer some tips if u email him? He does lots of crosses with it too.

Phal. gigantea can be finicky and slow growers from my research and limited experience. Unless you see active new roots forming, I would not recommend moving it into a totally new mix. Repotting while new roots are form may help a successful transition. Why are you thinking about repotting it? I want to be sure I am not making any assumptions.

The issue with crown rot is real with these. I grew a gigantea alba for a couple of years. It was in sphagnum in a plastic basket that I placed in plastic pot. I had it hanging in my warm case with my other phals. However it would dry out completely, especially in the winter. I decided to place it close to one of the oscillating fans but not hanging. Water still got trapped between the leaves because it developed crown rot 2-3 weeks after I moved it. RIP gigantea....

Latest posts

Back