Paph. spicerianum : nothing exceptional except...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So awesome bifloral quality. I can't even get my large plant to bloom. I'm going to stick him in the coldest area and see if it shocks him to throw flowers spikes in fear. ;O

So awesome bifloral quality. I can't even get my large plant to bloom. I'm going to stick him in the coldest area and see if it shocks him to throw flowers spikes in fear. ;O

This is a windowsill grown plant in my greatroom area. The house temperature overnight is programmed for 58°F. All five pots of this clone are in bloom right now, all divisions of a plant I purchased a long time ago. Very vigorous plant with leaf sizes approaching 33cm L x 4.4cm W. The second flower is just starting to open.

58F hmmmmmm…. great all in bloom. All bifloral?

So I put Mr. Spicer onto the coldest area, and lo and behold, I see a bud on one of the growths. It worked!!!

BTW have anyone ever seen a spicerianum album?

I think all had initiated spikes before the outdoor temperature was cold enough to get the indoor temperature down to 58° overnight, probably more like 63-64°F. Only one peduncle is bi-floral out of six in bloom. Like I said, all five plants are divisions from one original plant. I had one division bloom bi-floral two seasons ago.

I've never seen a spicerianum album. Do you have one?

You are most likely right. It was probably already in bud initiation but only saw in the bright cold spot.

Five divisions ... awesome!

The spice album is on my hunt list. Someone in the world has it!

58F hmmmmmm…. great all in bloom. All bifloral?

So I put Mr. Spicer onto the coldest area, and lo and behold, I see a bud on one of the growths. It worked!!!

BTW have anyone ever seen a spicerianum album?

Paph. spicerianum album is a unicorn.

There's a mention of one in the February, 1897 issue of the Orchid Review. But it's noted that "the plant is weak and the flower small", so I bet it didn't survive.

Braem also described the album as fma. immaculatum in his 1999 book. It's based on a specimen collected in India in March, 1993, but there aren't any more details than that.

Last edited:
Back