Paph. Shin Yi Sanders

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom-DE

Reaction score
It is MK X sanderianum. This particular clone represents the parents very well IMO. The petal length is 20+ inches. To me, it looks very much like a mini Paph. sanderianum

Attachments

• DSCN9419 (3).JPG
    DSCN9419 (3).JPG
    794.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN9420 (2).JPG
    DSCN9420 (2).JPG
    708.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN9421 (2).JPG
    DSCN9421 (2).JPG
    994.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Stunning. Other than the length of the petals, it seems very much like a sanderianum. Is it a more vigorous grower?
They are about the same. Maybe, my sanderianum is a slightly stronger grower.
This clone does look like a mini sanderianum with lighter color flowers overall and smaller but tighter twists on the petals.

Last edited:
lots of sandie
Indeed!
Having 75% of sanderianum in the blood, that is what you would have expected from some of the clones...Personally, I don't care much about those that look more like MK.

This is a really nice compact form of sanderianum! I second (or third) the appreciation of the petal twists.

Is that pure sand the Incharm x Shin-Yi? Yours is the only one I've seen of that cross but back in early 2000s there was high expectations of this cross. It was my first flask purchase but the plants disappeared when I finished school and relocated to a different island.

(Edit: re-reading my post made me realize it sounded I was suggesting robbery which was far from what I meant. I meant that I just haven't seen other owners of this cross post pictures)

This is a really nice compact form of sanderianum! I second (or third) the appreciation of the petal twists.

Is that pure sand the Incharm x Shin-Yi? Yours is the only one I've seen of that cross but back in early 2000s there was high expectations of this cross. It was my first flask purchase but the plants disappeared when I finished school and relocated to a different island.

(Edit: re-reading my post made me realize it sounded I was suggesting robbery which was far from what I meant. I meant that I just haven't seen other owners of this cross post pictures)
Shin Yi Sanders is a hybrid (my first photo), It is Mk x sanderianum. I bought it (a small seedling)from Vintage Orchids, CA. back in 2008(?) The owner was a back-yard breeder but I am not sure if he made this particular cross.
Post #2 is of my pure sanderianum species, It was from a Taiwanese breeder and I bought it from Park Side Orchids, PA. back in 2006/2007(a tiny seedling, straight out of the flask). I posted it here just for comparison (to the hybrid). I don't remember the clonal names of the parents(I can look at the tag tomorrow if it is important), but for sure it is not "Incharm" x "Shin Yi"

Neither of them is very big. The LS of my sanderianum is not more than 28 inches and the LS of the hybrid is about 22 inches.

Last edited:
I had to lookup the other sp in the MK and now that I realized the pouch color in yours makes a lot of sense with the philippinese in the background. It's a slight pity you don't see improvement on vigor, but regardless, it's still a nice flower to behold!

I'm no judging expert but that is an amazing sanderianum with the color and form. Sure the petals aren't out of this world for length but that red is spot on
The petal length of this sanderianum is over 32 inches, which is plenty for me. It could be an awardable plant, but I don't grow my plants for AOS awards and I don't need to pay AOS to give me/my plants awards.

Latest posts

Back