Paph. ((Sheila Hanes x VIa Virgenes) x primulinum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

This is a complex green onto primulinum. I used our tetraploid primulinum ('Kings Crown') to make this cross. The flower is almost 12 cm across. Hopefully this cross will be fertile. I can either cross it back to complex green or yellows, to get some more vigorous complex plants with yellow flowers, or I can try to backcross it onto primulinum 'Kings Crown' to get some "super sized" primulinum type flowers that will hopefully have sequential flowers. This plant already has 2 flower buds.

PaphSheilaHanesxVIaVirgenesxprim-1.jpg

plant:

PaphSheilaHanesxVIaVirgenesxprimuli.jpg

Robert

Very impressive Dr. Rob!

The 4N primulinum really shows its influence more than the typical 2N forms.

Thanks, I agree. That is because there is a "double" dose of primulinum in there.

Here are similar crosses made with 2N primulinum onto complex greens and yellows for comparison; I think they all have better shape than the hybrid shown above, but unfortunately most of these crosses are sterile and dead ends, and that is why I made the above cross, to see if I could continue breeding with it.

Another one of my crosses: Paph. Paph. Memoria Thornton Carter Fairfield (primulinum x Pacific Shamrock)
PaphprimulinumxPacificShamrock-clos.jpg

Paph. Mainacht (Van Ness x primulinum). This is probably the most "yellow" complex I have ever seen:
PaphMainachtYellowLady-close5122003.jpg

Paph. (Yosemite Moon x primulinum):
PaphprimulinumflavumxYosemiteMoon-c.jpg

Robert

I agree with the others, primilulinum really shows some strong influence in that plant. I really can't see a lot else in it.

I might have to go and check what the other hybrid should look like!

Either way, it's a wonderful flower........big and green!

I prefer the three steriles over the possible fertile one. As someone else has already said "I look forward to the next generation".

The three mules tend towards standard complexes in shape. I actually like the cochlepetalum look of the highlighted plant and if fertile it would be interesting to put on other plants within that group.

Latest posts

Back