Paph sanderianum seedlings

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
I just had to post this fantastic deal Leo made me for the sanderianums he had advertized awhile back! Checkout these "seedlings"

PDRM0002-1.jpg

He was tired of potting out these guys so he started selling compots and I jumped on it. Check the sizes on these guys

PDRM0004-1.jpg

That's right. 13 inches; 3 pts over 12" 3pts over 9" and the smallest was 4". I got 10 total in the compot.

Last edited:
I only have one, and it's about the size of one of your medium seedlings! Nice buy!!

as shown

Very interesting - I love the Rands pots and your large open mix of large bark, charcoal , and agrag. - too often you see a more soil size mix - these babies must love to breathe -good job -j

I got in on Leo's sanderianum "too tired to repot" sale too.:clap::clap:

I got eight seedlings for the price I think I paid for 1 in 2002, and much bigger too!!

I ordered one from Leo, too. Just one seedling for now. I'm sure that leaves plenty more for others to purchase. It's my Christmas present to myself. :)

great purchase Rick, and nice transplanting work!!! How much total petal length do you intend to reach with those numerous youngsters in a few years?? :):) Jean

Seems like many of us are getting sand seedlings as Christmas presents.. :D BTW, are sanderianums easy to raise from seedlings? are they just slow or do they need any special requirements? TIA.. :)

They have a reputation of being slow and kind of difficult, but if you find a sweet spot they actually are fast and easy. I found they like cooler, darker, and very humid/breezy conditions than other multi's. Especially when young. Of course these terms are relative, so try these numbers.

1) About 1000fc of light (about Phal light)
2) temps from about 60 for a low and 85 for a high
3) about 70 - 80% humidity with definite flow of air. (actually I think this is #1 parameter).

Mine like it near the wet pad hanging into the center isle of my GH shaded by other multis like supardii and hanging bulbos. When I moved (or started them) in this location they grow as fast as phili's

Especially when young they have thin and fragile roots, so you need to be very careful when potting. It's a good idea to use some oyster shell and/or bone meal in the potting mix.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Those seedlings are a real bargain. I was tired of repotting and truth be told, needed a little cash to get through the Holidays. I'll end the sale New Years Eve. After that the increased prices on my website go into effect. Glad you liked what you received.
Leo

I'm jealous. I already have four sanderianum seedlings but one can never have too many. Have fun with them guys!

Thanks for the tip, Rick.. :) Is it also true that they have a tendency to die off without reason even though they may have already grown quite large (8 or 9 inch leafspan)? from what I learnt by Googling (and otehr threads on orchid forums), that seems to be a big difficulty with raising sand from seedlings...

What if anything, are you feeding yours?
Others use MSU fertilizer but I have been using Peter's Professional formula fertilizer(20-20-20) for the last two years at 150 ppm of N in rain water during the growing season. I cutback to 50-60 ppm in the winter. I have no plans of switching.
great purchase Rick, and nice transplanting work!!! How much total petal length do you intend to reach with those numerous youngsters in a few years?? :):) Jean
Well Jean let's see, if I have an average of 24 inchs per petal times 2, times 3 flowers per growth, times ten plants (assuming they all survive!) that would be 240 feet! or 2880 inches!!!

Seems like many of us are getting sand seedlings as Christmas presents.. :D BTW, are sanderianums easy to raise from seedlings? are they just slow or do they need any special requirements? TIA.. :)
I don't know if they're slow or not. I have 2 plants that I bought yrs ago, one in 4/05 for 150.00 at 4-6 inches. It is now just over 21 inches. The other I got in 3/07 for 65.00 at 6-8 inches and now just over 18 inches. I'm inline with Rick as for air movement and the addition of oyster shell

Thanks for the tip, Rick.. :) Is it also true that they have a tendency to die off without reason even though they may have already grown quite large (8 or 9 inch leafspan)? from what I learnt by Googling (and otehr threads on orchid forums), that seems to be a big difficulty with raising sand from seedlings...
This was true for me yrs ago when the first sandie seedlings came out. I not sure if this fact would up these days.

.... Well Jean let's see, if I have an average of 24 inchs per petal times 2, times 3 flowers per growth, times ten plants (assuming they all survive!) that would be 240 feet! or 2880 inches!!!

It is somewhat frustrating to wait for the first 2 times 24 (or less) inches :):)! My 2 sanderianum youngsters, that I got beginning of last year do not seem too busy for any contribution to this petal length!! Jean

Thanks, Rick! I've been using MSU and Orchid focus. I used to swear by Peters 20-20-20 for my African violets. I'll give it a whirl! :)

Latest posts

Back