Paph rothschildianum 'Sam's Best' FCC/AOS x 'Rex' FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The stance and dark pouch are stunning!
Plant looks very healthy.
Keep the pollen!

I will do that. We have our orchid meeting on Wednesday. I will cut the spike after that and save the pollen. I don’t know what I will do with it. Put it in the fridge for now.

Awesome flowers and healthy looking plant! My roth (GV x DF) has bloomed with one flower twice in a row, so two flowers on a roth sounds good to me!

It is all relative. :) You seem to need to get these into a big clump to get them flowering well, which takes time. Although I think Dot had a first flowering roth with 5 flowers.

David, that is a very good one. Fantastic petal attitude, and good solid colour. Flowers are also well presented and held clear of the foliage. This is going to be fantastic on subsequent bloomings.

I hope so. I saw huge improvements between the first and 2nd flowerings of the other roth I have flowered, so hopefully this one will just get better. The good news is that I just noticed the plant putting out a 2nd new growth so that will help in getting the plant established a bit quicker.

As a general rule I do not like line bred paphs (or any other plant), but tthis s absolutely striking. Great contrast in the colors.

Sam’s Best is Borneo x Charles E and Rex is wild collected so it hasn’t been too line bred. This cross is more the old style of roth.

This is a great looking flower David:clap:

How long have you been growing it?

Rick – I bought it in 2006. It was a largish seedling, perhaps 3 years out of flask. For the first 4 years it did nothing, possibly even went backwards. Then I changed the fertiliser and it suddenly took off. I think the Mg in particular really helped. So it went from a weak and smallish plant to flowering within 3 years. Amazing growth rate actually. I remember Xavier saying he flowered a plant from this cross within 3 years from flask. My other seedling from this cross is recovering more slowly. It is doing better than what it was but it is still a long way from flowering.

huge. well formed. good color. Tell me again how you are disappointed with it???

I will do that. We have our orchid meeting on Wednesday. I will cut the spike after that and save the pollen. I don’t know what I will do with it. Put it in the fridge for now.

Id cross it with your avatar or one of the other spectacular multis you have!

Unfortunately the Lady won't be flowering this year. Next year for sure. My William Ambler is opening up at the moment. That could be a nice cross. Increase the size of the flower but hopefully retain the dark colour.

huge. well formed. good color. Tell me again how you are disappointed with it???

Never said I was disappointed with the flower. Couldn't be happier really. If I was being picky the dorsal could be a little broader. The only issue was the flower count although I'm not concerned as that will come with time. Flower quality is more important. I would have expected more flowers given the size of the growth. It is big and the leaves are very wide. Interestingly I have a PEOY x William Ambler in bud at the moment. In comparison its growth is scrawny. The leaves are much shorter and narrower and the plant has a poor root system. It has 3 buds, possibly more.

Very nice result from this cross. There must be very few crosses without Mont Millais in the background recently. If it wasn't for its beauty, I'd kept it for its different blood line.
Crossing to William Ambler sounds o.k. That'll be Shin-Yi William, and there are nice examples of the cross around.

Very nice result from this cross. There must be very few crosses without Mont Millais in the background recently. If it wasn't for its beauty, I'd kept it for its different blood line.
Crossing to William Ambler sounds o.k. That'll be Shin-Yi William, and there are nice examples of the cross around.

Agree, there is to much homogeneity in today's roths, esp. those from Taiwan. we are just starting to see the third generation MM lines now and there are some exceptional clones, but the middle of the bell curve (if they are true to label) all seem to look pretty much alike.

Only 4, David. And then I almost lost the plant, but it's growing again now.
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16258&highlight=rothschildianum

Still very nice. Good to hear it is recovering. I remember Xavier talking about the susceptibility of roths to death after first flowering. Maybe there is advantage to only getting two flowers first up. A lot less stress on the plant. Your experience really demonstrates the risk a big flowering can have if the plant isn't ready to sustain it. So you have made me change my mind to one where I am glad the plant only produced two flowers.

Latest posts

Back