Paph. rothschildianum 'Aksel' BM, 2018 and Paph. parishii 'Guldal' BM/GM, 2018

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you repost picture of parishii in brighter light please?? You did such a good jjob!! Congrats!! Beautiful!!

Jens, I assume the Paph. parishii is the plant you lost by your 'special treatment'. The loss of this plant must have been a great shock. But live goes on and hopefully the Paph. rothschildianum is still 'alive and kicking'.

These are wonderful plants!
You must have lots of windows, I only use one for orchids, so the plants are shading each other, therefore I need artificial lightening.

Last thursday was a very happy day for this (maybe not so) humble window sill grower. At the gathering of my local orchid society the following two plants both was rewarded with a BM (Bronze Medal); but to my great joy and delight my P. parishii in addition earned me a GM (Gold Medal) for culture.

Paphiopedilum parishii 'Guldal':

Flowers close-up:

Paphiopedilum rothschildianum 'Aksel':

Flowers:

Flower - detail:
Those are amazingly beautiful and fruitful plants. Many of us could not get those results in our growing conditions, much less on a windowsill where it is much harder to control parameters like light and temps. Kudos!!!

Oh my gosh, now I see your parishii Jens! Spectacular flowering!

What happened to to the plant and what would you change to save it?

Unfortunately the parishii is dead, departed, defunct, gone to orchid heaven... It had an attack of mealy bugs, that I first discovered, when it had turned quite bad. That's of course not normally a fatal condition, and the sad thing was, that I tried to apply a new method of insect control, that had just been demonstrated in my orchid society. This led to a heavy rot infestation, that did away with the plant.

Well, what did I and have I since learned from my experience? Even if it might work with smaller plants, I've dropped that particular way of insect control...totally!
For non-EU residents it might be informative to know, that former pest controls like Calypso and other similar ones, have been prohibited, so for a period many of us were at a loss, what to do as the legal substances were quite inefficient.
I some time ago got a very helpfull advice from a fellow orchidist: spray the plants with a solution of 1 ltr water, 1 tbs (clear) dishwashing liquid and 15-20 ml paraffin oil (normally used for lamps or for lightening grill coals). This is as efficient a mean as it is cheap...both for treating mealy bugs, scale and mite infestations. Actually working far better than the former, now prohibited remedies!
And I've since learned that a combination of 100% Dragon blood (Croton lechleri) and cinnamon powder can help so that rot doesn't get completely out of hands. Both unfortunately too late to save my premium parishii!

Well, one day when I retire from the mental health services, I might put up shop as Orchid Grief Counsellor, and I'm sure that my loosing this particular plant and the others that followed suite, would then come in handy as valuable experiences!

So jealous...:) both are beautiful....my Paph rothschildianum have another 3 years to go I think before it will bloom.
Paph parishii is m all time favourite Paphs, hard to find and hard to grow. I had 2 Paph parishii, I only have 1 now, still have a long way to go.
It is good to know that Paph parishii can be grown well and bloom well on a windowsill at a relatively warm temp. Do you dry Paph parishii out between each watering? I killed my first Paph parishii (which probably would have bloomed within 12 months) close to 10 years ago, when I watered a little bit too much in September.

Latest posts

Back