Paph. rothschildianum 'Aksel' BM, 2018 and Paph. parishii 'Guldal' BM/GM, 2018

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guldal

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last thursday was a very happy day for this (maybe not so) humble window sill grower. At the gathering of my local orchid society the following two plants both was rewarded with a BM (Bronze Medal); but to my great joy and delight my P. parishii in addition earned me a GM (Gold Medal) for culture.

Paphiopedilum parishii 'Guldal':

Flowers close-up:

Paphiopedilum rothschildianum 'Aksel':

Flowers:

Flower - detail:

Congratulations wow so many flowers of parishii I have a few plants hope soon I can see the spike from mature plant. What media did you use for parishii?

I grow my Paphs in Greenmix (as a window sill grower it seems to help me keep the humidity up - albeit I'm still a bit handicapped in this respect, when compared to the lucky owners of a greenhouse):

"GreenMix for Orchids is a mixture of water-repellent and water-absorbent granulate with added perlite and lignite. The granulate is made from stonewool, the basic element of which is diabase rock. GreenMix for orchids is produced by Grodania A/S" (and was developed in cooperation with our local mastergrower, Hans Christiansen - whom the variety Paph. hennisianum fma. christiansenii was named after)

In my local orchid society there is quite a religious war going on about growth medias...but I guess, it's the same every where?!

This actual plant is grown in an east-south-east facing window...at room temperature, i.e. mainly around 18-23 degrees celsius.

I use 3/4 spring water + 1/4 tap water (NB. tap water in Denmark is quite clean and you drink water directly from the tap). I fertilise once a month, except nov-jan (quite dark months up here north), with Pokon 20-20-20 (NPK 20-20-20 + Molybdenum (MO) 0,0005% Bor (B) 0,0200%, Kobber (CU) 0,0500%, Jern (FE) 0,1000%, Mangan (MN) 0,0500%, Zink (ZN) 0,0500%)

I think, that's about it!

Kind regards,
Jens

Latest posts

Back