Paph. Rattlesnake Skin

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now this is more like it! The short stem is an issue but if the flower count increases with maturity of the plant. I could overlook the stem!

Robert, do you think the OD x FS is mislabelled, and is really a seedling of this cross? Although it is different in many ways from this one, it's also different from the parents on the tag.

Yes, I am pretty sure that the OD x FS is not mislabeled, and I actually can see both parents in it. It seems like the primulinum was more dominant than I was expecting, but the plant habit (size of the leaves) looks a lot like Paph. platyphyllum (from the Fumimasa Sugiyama parent). Now the flower has matured more, they are actually starting to droop down (and are not as horizontal as shown on the picture).

Robert

Robert, I like this one but the short spike lets it down. Do you know of the previous cross having longer spikes ? I not sure if it will breed but finding what plant would lengthen the spike without loosing much of the flower quality there now.
Why, is that a quality judges look for. From the hobby grower perspective I like the short stemm as it doesn't take up much room. :confused:

Why, is that a quality judges look for. From the hobby grower perspective I like the short stemm as it doesn't take up much room. :confused:

Eric, from a judges perspective, the flowers should be displayed in a way that they can be viewed easily without being obscured by the foliage. Given the parentage I would have expected the spike to be longer. The presentation of the blooms is below par given the P.roth' parentage as is not the case in most roth' crosses seen, it appears to be quite dominant in that area. I can't remember seeing any other roth' cross without a spike much longer than this.

Eric, from a judges perspective, the flowers should be displayed in a way that they can be viewed easily without being obscured by the foliage. Given the parentage I would have expected the spike to be longer. The presentation of the blooms is below par given the P.roth' parentage as is not the case in most roth' crosses seen, it appears to be quite dominant in that area. I can't remember seeing any other roth' cross without a spike much longer than this.

I think it is the sanderianum influence that has created a "shorter" stem. Often I have noticed with sanderianum hybrids that the first flower will still be inside the bract and won't form correctly, usually the second flower will be OK. In this case the first flower was fine, but it did not get formed much above the flower bract. Also keep in mind this is a first bloom, maybe when it blooms again, it will have a longer stem. One thing I was thinking of crossing it with is, to backcross it with Paph. rothschildianum, to increase the flower stem.

Robert

Latest posts

Back