Paph Royal Sapphire

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Paph Royal Sapphire was registered by Orchids Limited in 2007 as (Bel Royal x micranthum). Bel Royal (rothschildianum x kolopakingii) was registered by EYOF in 1996. The next picture shows my current blooming and is the cross (Bel Royal ‘Royal Gold’ x micranthum ‘Tiger Wings’).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45750268@N03/shares/iw1V58

The plant has grown tolerably but this is only the second time it has bloomed for me. There are three flowers. The NS (horizontal) of the petals is 13 cm. The blooms are presented on a medium height spike.

Robert Jan-Quene (Drorchid) posted about this cross in Slippertalk in 2007 in the following link:

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4150

Robert made the comparison of Royal Sapphire with Gloria Naugle (rothschildianum x micranthum) and said that Royal Sapphire was maybe a little smaller, but darker in color, and was an easier grower and bloomer.

I find the striping on the petals and dorsal of this current blooming very attractive but can find pictures of Gloria Naugle posted on the web with similar coloration and patterns.

The lip really reminds me of Cyp. acaule, really neat. I think it's got fantastic color, even if it is on the same scale as GN. Presumably this cross will have a fair amount of variation in coloration and patterning, so maybe on average they tend to be darker, though it may be hard to tell if you're only looking at a single plant. Of course I actually prefer your clone over the other darker clone. Yours has more color variation, more green, and the veining on the petals is more conspicuous.

I suspect that some of the coloration is responsive to cultural conditions, including temperature and light intensity. I don't think I have had the flower develop fully under short day and cool temperatures before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have not had three flowers before on this plant. I know the overall health of the plant matters for any orchid's blooming, but I am unclear about the specific cultural conditions that optimize the blooming of the different polyantha species or hybrids. It must be specific timing of day length, temperature, light level, water/fertilizer levels.

I have seen nice studies with Phals, Miltoniopsis, some Dendrobiums, and some Cattleyas that help optimize "spiking" conditions, but I think the polyantha Paphs are restricted to a smaller group of expert growers with enough space to grow these large plants and some have figured out what works best. I just haven't seen it pulled together somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back