Paph randsii (New World x CA Dream) First Flowering

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grows in warm conditons of warm temperature year round with a minimum temp of 20C and days can reach up to 24-26C.

Likes humidity of 50-60% and Medium light.

Mix is medium bark, charcoal, perlite and a bit of moss. I top dress with a bit of cocopeat, fine perlite, fine charcoal and sand mix so the surface stays moist so the roots can penetrate the medium.

If Phal bellina grows well, randsii will do just fine.

Compared to Paphman910's Paph. randsii, we grow ours in a warm greenhouse which temperature reaches to a high of 87F(30.5C) during the day and low of 55F (12.7C) at night.

Humidity is around 60% and 1500 footcandles of light.

Mix is seedling bark, charcoal, moss, and sand.

Currently on the same bench as Paph. rothschildianum. Paph. randsii is notoriously slow growing for us. We have a few other Paph. randsii that have not made any new growths in years. Slow growing characteristics seems to be common among others who I have asked.

Compared to Paphman910's Paph. randsii, we grow ours in a warm greenhouse which temperature reaches to a high of 87F(30.5C) during the day and low of 55F (12.7C) at night.

Humidity is around 60% and 1500 footcandles of light.

Mix is seedling bark, charcoal, moss, and sand.

Currently on the same bench as Paph. rothschildianum. Paph. randsii is notoriously slow growing for us. We have a few other Paph. randsii that have not made any new growths in years. Slow growing characteristics seems to be common among others who I have asked.

My randsii has 2 new growth starting.

Last edited:
Thank you for your explanation! It seems that it will do well in my apartment, of which all bellinas goes fine with it. It seems it requires much less light as compared with other mutis, such as Roths, philippinese and kolo. Am I right?

It likes the humidity of bellina and the warmth.

It is growing under my metal halide 400 W at 3 feet above the plant. Regular hybrid Phal grows really well beside my randsii.

It was growing under 2 x 24W T5HO while it was small but the plant got too big so I moved it to the metal halide.

Fantastic job my (Paph)man! I hope to join you soon ( then later:eek:) Nice rich color on your clone as well. What will you call it? 'Big10'

Nice, is it a first blooming seedling plant? What is leafspan of the plant?

You are lucky to grow it in a greenhouse. Mine is grown in my apartment!

Leafspan is 17.7 inches (45cm). First blooming seedling with 2 mature growts and a small growth just emerging for a total of 3.

How are are your petals now? Are your petals crossing over or touching each other as seen in the photo?

Leafspan is 17.7 inches (45cm). First blooming seedling with 2 mature growths and a small growth just emerging for a total of 3.

How are are your petals now? Are your petals crossing over or touching each other as seen in the photo?

Petals are fine. They cross over and touch each other to form a circle.

Where did you get the randsii from?

So far still waiting for the 10th flower to open.

Hopefully you will post as well.

Petals are fine. They cross over and touch each other to form a circle.

Where did you get the randsii from?

So far still waiting for the 10th flower to open.

Hopefully you will post as well.

Unfortunately the records don't say where it is from. It was a part of a collection we inherited.

5 flowers have opened, waiting on the last 5 to open. A little slower down here in Southern California, USA. We will definitely post as well.

Latest posts

Back