Paph. Quasar -Black Orchid-

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

I remade Paph. Quasar back in 2001, and the first seedling finally bloomed. Paph. Quasar is Paph. Macabre x rothschildianum. I used a vini-colored Paph. Macabre to make this cross. Whenever you cross a vinicolored Paph to rothschildianum, Paph. rothschildianum intensifies the colors, and makes them look almost black! I actually like the contrasting white along the tips of the petals and the dorsal on this plant.

PaphQuasar12282009.jpg

PaphQuasar-side-12282009.jpg

PaphQuasarBannanaBackground12282009.jpg

Robert

I particularly love the dorsal and the dark flames on cream background. A real star.

It is interesting to compare my cross with a Paph. Quasar made with the regular (non-vinicolored) Paph. Macabre (This picture is actually from our own Dot Barnett):

http://www.slipperorchids.info/paphcomplex/PaphQuasar2.jpg

These were the two parents that I used to make my cross of Paph. Quasar back in 2001:

Paph. Macabre 'Black Magic":

PaphMacabreBlackMagic41820012-1.jpg

and Paph. rothschildianum 'Borneo Dark':
PaphrothschildianumBorneoDark-1.jpg

A similar hybrid that I made, and the seedlings have already been planted out is: Paph. Black Leopard 'Black Spell' (= Macabre x Magic Leopard) x Paph. rothschildianum 'Sky High'. I think this cross will even have darker flowers that will be better shaped compared to the Paph. Quasar. For one the Paph. Black Leopard is much darker in color and probably better shaped (in proportion) than the Paph. Macabre, and the Paphiopedilum rothschildianum 'Sky High' was a much larger and better shaped flower than the Paph. rothschilidianum 'Borneo Dark'

Paph. Black Leopard 'Black Spell':

PaphBlackLeopardMacabrexMagicLeopar.jpg

Paphiopedilum rothschildianum 'Sky High':

PaphrothschildianumSkyHighGreenV-4.jpg

Robert

I saw this Quasar cross bloom at OL with Robert today and will say that in the greenhouse light it looked even darker than the photo is showing up on my monitor! I haven't gotten excited about black flowers yet, so I haven't decided if I really like this but it was sure big and very dark and striking!

I like the flamed coloring and the darknes is surely increased by the white edges! Unfortunately the shape isn't as graet as the color.

That is amazing. The unopened 2nd flower parts look like a bat hanging from the ceiling. PLEASE post pictures of the rest of that set. I'm in LOVE :smitten:

Latest posts

Back